Sanding Mop

robjeffking

Ive been needing to find a better way to sand trim and moulding and I knew I needed a sanding mop.

The very expensive sanding mop kit from stockroom supply is 339.00 with no motor. The sanding mops

refills and mops with mandrels for your drill press are 50.00. I have this 1/2 hp double shafted motor

that use to have a grinding wheel attached so that was the power for my mop so my drill press could stay freed up. One side of the motor will have a 220g mop the other side will be 120g. Went to harbor freight purchased a 25ft x 2.75 abrasive roll of 120(7.99) to test my theory. All you have to do is make two 6" x 2.75" templates with your sanding fingers .25" apart 2" long on each side of the template leaving a 2 " solid center for your .5" hole. Cut your 6" strips sandwich them between your templates and use any tape handy to hold it all together. I used a older bandsaw blade to cut the sanding fingers cloth side up had no issues with sparking. Crisscrossed the sandpaper cloth to cloth attached to my arbor. I will make a more robust mounting system in the future but so far Im very pleased with the results All in if you have an older motor lying around shaft arbors are 6.00 the roll abrasives was 8.00 double that for 120/220 setup 28.00 for a sanding mop machine that took less than 30mins to make.

post-5469-0-54267600-1361733977_thumb.jp

post-5469-0-15908800-1361733988_thumb.jp

Great idea. I always have short scraps of 3" cloth abrasive from cutting strips for my drum sander. I had gotten mop flutter sheets from Klingspor but they do add up fast. I use them on small arbors set in cheap1/4" air drills from harbor freight, change drills to change grits.

Light passes with a coarser grit to remove molder marks(ripple) , then finer grits to take out the sanding scratches. Might be a good idea to use an old bandsaw blade instead of a new one.