Identify Wood & How to Clean/Restore

Candice

This is a small table. It's probably 100+ years old. I see no indication of any kind of finish.

Can you identify the wood?

Advice for cleaning any dirt/residue sitting on the surface?

How should I restore this piece - remove the dark and light rings, and other discolorations?

What's the best I can do without stripping it to bare wood?

Thanks!

post-15248-0-60273900-1394149545_thumb.j Full table top

post-15248-0-76153300-1394149552_thumb.j Left side of table top - where most of the damage is

Pine. Try the Howard's Restore A Finish product. It kind of dissolves some of the finish, cleans and adds a bit of color back in then redistributes it around to give a more uniform look. It's not hard to use. I get it at the hardware store. Haven't seen it offered at the big box stores. Just follow the directions on the can.

I use pro finishing supplies every day in my cabinet shop. But I use this stuff to spruce up old functional furniture at home that I don't want to spend the time to refinish.

I don't know if I am able to comment on this; in the pics I see a bleached out picture of a bear and just below that an outline of the letter 'C'..

To me that screams chicago bears (all lower case for a reason :P ).  Bad JuJu for a Cheese Head!  I say strip it clean and start from scratch!  (or burn it :o )..

J/k (maybe)!! 

But yup, what Steve recommended ^^^

wdwerker - Thanks for the Restor-A-Finish suggestion. It sounds like just the thing.

wtnhighlander - Sorry about the confusion. I meant "bare wood", as in no stain.

Thank you both for the pine ID.

Boatworks - No, I won't be burning it.

Thanks!

There's definitely stain on it. It undoubtedly has some collected grime and residual furniture applications of unknown types. BLO has been applied several times over the years.

I can find the Howard's several places locally. I think you're right on target with the walnut. I appreciate the guidance.