Help Choosing My First Bandsaw

RJsumthn

I am looking to purchase my first bandsaw and am having trouble deciding which one I should get. I have a handful of projects under my belt and am looking to step up my game. I am past the stage of just testing the woodworking waters and know that this will be a lifetime hobby (and possible career). So I am looking to buy lifetime tools now. My shop is half of a two car garage so space is somewhat limited and I only have 110v in the shop. I would like to use the bandsaw for curves, resawing, and ripping. I only have a job site table saw for now and am looking for a bandsaw to take over some of it's duties until the budget arrives to replace it. I don't have any brands that I favor or dislike. I am looking for the best value saw I can find. My absolute max budget is $1300. 

Here are the saws that have caught my eye so far:

Grizzly G0555LNAV

Laguna 14-12

Rikon 10-325

What do you all think of these bandsaws? Do you have any other recommendations?

Thanks

RJ - of the three you should probably put the Laguna at the top of the list. Yes it's the most expensive, but most likely for a reason. I have the Rikon and I like it - it fit my price point at the time, and it's been a good soldier for me, but there are 2 weaknesses that I just live with.

- The blade guides are not very good (once adjusted they are fine but getting them there can be tedious). I plan to replace them at some point

- The table tilt is pretty weak- there is a lot of slop in the mechanism and I ended up having to shim mine to get it perpendicular to the blade in all directions. This is a minor nit as I don't find I need to tilt the table a lot.

But the Rikon power is good, resaw capacity is good, and it's worked out great for me. I don't regret the purchase.

If the 14-12 had been out at the time then I would have put it on my short list. Don't get me wrong I like the Rikon. But if you are willing to spend a little more then consider the Laguna. Find a store that has them both and go over them top to bottom. And spend the rest of your budget on good blades.

I am looking for the best value saw I can find.

Then your answer is probably Grizzly.  A lot of guys here have the Grizzly you linked and like it, but the Laguna is the best saw out of the three you listed and will be head and shoulders over the others for resaw.  My advice would have been to buy a 17" Grizzly since your budget can afford one...but I don't think any of them run on 110V.  So I'd go with the Laguna if I were in your shoes...if this is going to be your only bandsaw.  I was thinking about adding that same one as a secondary dedicated to curves so I could leave the 17" set up for rip/resaw.  It's a way better value than the PM 14"...bigger motor, bigger table, cast iron wheels, etc...and a hundo cheaper.

AND that's a pretty amazing sale they're running...$1,099 down from $1,099...wow!

I'd go with the Laguna or the Rikon because of the HP.  Both are well made. Grizzly only has one horse power and you will run into a need for more HP if you experiment with veneers and resaws. 

Other thing is If you don't know electricity, hire a friend who does and run a line to give your shop 220V.  It is stinkin' easy and if you're investing in tools as you say, you're going to need it.

I've had the G0555LANV for about a week now and I absolutely love it. I may have actually hugged the machine last week when no one was looking..,

I am new to having a full sized band saw and the Grizzly was a snap to put together and get dialed in.

So far I've only run it with a woodslicer place and done some resawing and a lot of thin rips.

Playing around, I was able to cut veneer in 1/16" slices on my first attempt.

Well I just made the decision and got the Laguna 14-12!! WoodWerks was having 10% off all Laguna tools with only $49 shipping so I couldn't resist. With the money saved on the saw I also ordered the Laguna Resaw King blade which is supposed to be amazing. I'm hoping this set up will last me a very long time. The only bad thing was the saw is backordered 2-3 weeks :( 

I can't wait for it to arrive!!!

• 1 month later...

Well it has been just over a month since I ordered the bandsaw and I finally got a tracking number on it today. However, it does say that expected delivery is Sunday, 5/4. I am not sure if I should believe that or not. I didn't think anybody delivered on sundays. It is being shipped through ABF, has anybody had an experience with them?

Look more closely, Mike...I have a project in clamps next to the miter saw, and some veneer about to be glued up. :)

I can't stand a messy shop.  The cleaner my shop, the cleaner my work.  At least that's how it feels.  I have to do a little cleanup between most steps during a project.  It's good for my work and it just means less to clean up later.

• Like 1