Bistro/Pub/Counter height Table and Stools

RichardA

I've been picking up a dollar or 6 now and then constructing small things for neighbors and friends, you know how that goes!  Bookcases, coffee tables, garden arbors and benches, along with small stuff, towel racks, cutting boards and racks for them.  Most of what I do, is with reclaimed barn wood, re milled red oak,and poplar and the occasional ash  that I rarely find!   I recently did a bed of new red oak, and added some 100 year old red oak as an eye catcher, all m/t joints with firewood black walnut drawbore for the joints. The customer was in such a darn hurry, that I never got a picture. And he lives 200 miles away.

My wife liked the way it turned out and suggested that I make a bed for us, since we sleep on a queen size, sitting on rails for the last 17 years!   So, I bought 150bf of red oak, rough and kiln dried and began work!  I made a discovery...8/4, 6/4 and 4/4 is heavy, and I'm well past my prime [71] , But since the boss requested, I do, and don't complain! [i eat a lot of asprin]

After a couple of weeks I had a fairly rough designed bed ready for the first dry fit. It worked... amazed me!  So feeling good about the progress, I took a few days off, to clean the 108 sq ft shop, and get my head back on straight!

While cleaning, I noticed that I was going to have a lot of wood left over! That evening at dinner,sitting at a dark heavy, oversize, bulky, ugly dining room table, it struck me that I can do way better than that!  When my wife found me a little later, I was in the shop with a design, and wood scattered everywhere starting on a decent dining room set.  This is the result of that, with a pic of the still unfinished bed... That will be done in a week or so!

I hear this type table called "bistro", "pub" and "counter height"  I call it "mine"..... The stools are just regular with a seat idea taken from the garden bench I built for our flower garden..... In all these pieces is some 100 year old Red oak, just because I like the Idea of a piece of American history being part of my house and life!  Take your swings, I hope you like it, if not please explain why... I'm old , but not to old to learn!

post-15288-0-18010900-1396223367_thumb.j

post-15288-0-87392200-1396223394_thumb.j

post-15288-0-27485900-1396223420_thumb.j

TIODS..... It's always about the "boss"!      chrisphr:  The bedpost ends was simple.... cut a dado around the post, then make a tenon jig and cut the angles at 10 degrees in all directions!  The challange for me was the headboard post's on the saw were longer than the ceiling height in my little shed!   Move the saw.....problem solved, More asprin!  Saw be heavy!     My wife's friend told me that she was upset, because I specifically made the stool seats to fit her Butt.... She said that I shouldn't be looking at her butt!