Spring Cleaning, Lumber Rack

Shane Jimerfield

Finally after three years of needing to rebuild my skimpy little lumber rack - I DID IT! I used the plans that Mark post over at TWW.

Mine goes to 12' high and 12' wide with 6 levels. The top rack is reserved for the light things like trim, molding, etc...

The only thing I would change is to use Spax 6" lag screws for the attachments of the uprights to the wall.

I loaded the thing up pretty heavily. The rack is solid so I'm not worried about it, but last night I had a vision of the entire wall collapsing. That would really not be fun, but I don't think it's going anywhere.

post-15223-0-09674400-1396931873_thumb.j

Uprights Up.

post-15223-0-07599700-1396932302_thumb.j

Chopping plywood into smaller bits.

post-15223-0-95626300-1396932289_thumb.j

Bracket Supports Built, 32 of them little buggers.

Well done.  Wish I had space for that much rack...mine's a third that size.  I went all over-engineer on mine (as usual) and sistered my studs before I drywalled.  Also used some overkill-sized lag bolts to connect the uprights and way more screws than necessary to connect the "shelves."  My racks are pretty much stuffed full, and even though I went through all those measures and know it's plenty strong, I still have visions of being killed by a lumberlanche one day.