rust on card scrapers

Bill Tarbell

I recently picked up a few new card scrapers from amazon.  They arrived with a little bit of machine oil on them, which i pretty much just left in place since i figured it'd protect them.  I used one of the cards once and discovered that a week later it developed a bit of surface rust.  One of the unused cards also developed a little bit.  I cleaned them up and put on some paste wax for the time being.  

What protectant do you guys typically use on your metal hand tools that tend to rust like that?

Rust doesn't matter on a card scraper unless it bothers you that it ain't pretty. :)  As long as you get the edge polished and turn a sharp burr, the rest of that piece of metal is inconsequential.  Mine have surface rust from sweaty hands and good ol' St. Louis humidity.  I don't waste my time worrying about it.  My planes on the other hand...

• Like 1

To elaborate on my crc 3-36 multi-purpose post, it is listed in a tauton article in the 2014 tool guide. It beat all others in the comparison, including all the waxes such as johnson paste wax, renaissance wax and waxilit. I have also retired my jojoba oil I purchased from Lie Nielsen, as it became an inferior product next to the crc. I have been using this product about 8 months now, and in that 8 months I have not had rust show up on and of my stationary machines, nor my expensive hand tools. Best purchase I made for my investments.

The crc 336 stuff has great reviews on amazon and i hear it was also chosen as the best overall rust inhibitor by FWW in 2012.  I picked up a can from amazon for just over $6.  Since it's aerosol, i plan on using it for tools or areas that are difficult to wax.  If someone else goes to buy some, note that there are two versions.. one is industrial and one is Tech grade.  The tech one is safe for plastics, whereas the industrial is not.

I found this spray on stuff at a machine shop, and i was so impatient to try it I broke the straw and spray head.  If I had any spare cans of WD40 left, I'd have tried to refit it, but I ended up pitching the can because it was leaking and (irony) causing the other cans to rust.  But the location I sprayed the area I could control has been rust free for two years and counting.  If I could remember what the product was, I'd recommend it.