quick finishing question

Scott Bailey

I hope this isn't a silly question but I am still fairly new to this and feeling a bit ignorant, and I have a "process" question that's probably really basic.  I'm refinishing an outdoor table and chairs that I've had for years (and my 2 previous finishing efforts were less than poor, we'll just leave it at that).

I've stripped off all the old finish no problem and revealed nice western red ceder, so I don't want to stain it at all. i'm going to put a simple oil/spar varnish blend on it. I've already tested on scrap and like it, even with the slight amber from the linseed oil which seems to really bring out the red in the wood... but I have not started finishing the actual work yet...

my question is pretty simple.  when I put the finish on a piece, I have to set it down somewhere to dry and cure, I have some scrap 2x4s that will do the job but I don't know how to avoid the 2x4s leaving little marks on the wood after it cures.  Because of the oil in the finish (I'm using a variation of Marc's Desert outdoor finish) this will have a longer drying time.  will light sanding between coats make this no problem?  or is there some other trick I'm missing?  I'd rather have some knowledge before hand than try to fix something and not really know how...

thx in advance :)

well it's not quite that simple unfortunately.  the table has a drop leaf so for that piece I have to take it apart in order to get into all the nooks and so forth.  frankly the table won't be that big of a deal because any marks can easily be hidden by either sitting base on its feet like you say or using the underside of the table top for that part. the bigger problem is the chairs, there's frankly no way to let it sit without doing so on an exposed surface somewhere.  the chairs come apart into 3 pieces, so there's a seat, a seatback with 2 of the legs, and the other crosspiece for the other legs.  pretty nice design but i can't just sit it on its feet to dry.  sorry, I should have been a little clearer

no problem, but you may have answered my question anyway. imagine you have a 2 sided piece of wood and you want to finish both sides.  it sounds like you would finish one side, sit it on the unfinished side to dry, and after that dries flip and repeat - IE you basically just don't want to sit wet finish on anything to dry...

here is a pic of a chair that is almost exactly what I have, though the slats on mine run vertically.  otherwise, they are put together exactly the same way

http://merc-images.s3.amazonaws.com/2114/Oxford-Garden-Capri-Folding-Chair-Outdoor-Seating/Oxford-Garden-Capri-Folding-Chair-Outdoor-Seating_0_0.jpg

The little painters pyramids are great and cheap. The newest version has a couple of screw holes so you can keep them from shifting. You can also snap them together into little groups or chains for odd shaped parts. Dried finish peels or chips off pretty easily.

Finish the least visible side first, grip by the sides and flip onto the pyramids then finish the other side. Works best when spraying. If you rub or brush to forcefully the pyramid can mark the underside.

those things are pretty cool, I will definitely have to look into something like that soon... i'll probably just do it in stages, one side at a time, I am not in a hurry and am really just doing one chair at a time first before tackling the table so this project is in little pieces... I am not spraying, just wiping the finish on... can't stand brushing.

thanks again for the replies ;)