PerformaX 16-32 Drum Sander

Coop

In contrast I got one of the Jet branded versions (with auto variable speed) for $799 on sale and that might not have included 11 rolls but it still did come with three or so. Sounds like they're trying to promote the included sandpaper as a way to get the most out of the price and perhaps there might be an argument in that as drum sander paper isn't cheap. But honestly I'd rather forget the sandpaper and get that guy by itself at no more than $400-500 max as others here suggested.

Thanks guys, I think I'll pass on this deal due to your recommendations. And, I didn't think about the in/out tables. I know they're critical on the planer but didn't think about it here. So far, none of you have said anything bad about a new Jet 16-32. Is it a decent machine? If so, probably wait and get it when Jet has their 10% off sale?

Look at the Supermax 19-38.  It's from the same company who designed the Performax, but they changed names and went off on their own when their contract with Jet expired.  They've made significant improvements to the original design and their units are a MUCH better value.  I have one and love it.  It's more than you're wanting to spend, but if you're looking at a new Jet 16-32, to me it's a no brainer to go Supermax instead.

• Like 1

I'll check out the Supermax. I really don't have a budget. In fact, I'm trying to get all of my toys bought now before I retire in a couple of years and it makes sense to buy quality now while I can and use my huge social security check in a few years to buy Depends :wacko:

• Like 1

Very decent machine, but like Kiki said, anything that is a successor by the original company is absolutely worth a look and had I known Performax was back in the game at the time I was shopping for a drum sander, I might have looked at that instead and weighed putting a little more money into it. That said, I am still pleased with my purchase and if you do get the Jet instead, yes, do it on a sale. Either way, drum sander is something that might get stamped as a luxury purchase, but oh what a luxury it is, I get so much use out of mine, so kind to figured woods and it's one of my favorite tools in the shop. And if you don't have already, dust collection an absolute must.

• Like 1

It's kinda funny you say that about the DC. I ordered the Jet DS from my local Rocklers a couple of months ago when Jet had it's last 10% off sale. After ordering, there was a discussion on here and it was brought up that I needed a DC w/ a 4" hose, which my existing didn't have. When the Jet came in, I declined it. Two weeks later, my wife buys me the HF dust collector w/ 4" hose. Now I on the prowl again for a drum sander. BTW, the HF dc will suck the stink bugs off of my tomato plants at 30 paces so hopefully it will work well on the sander.