using untinted siding paint for to coat?

Brendon_t

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/wood/msg0508251620915.html?15

Hey guys. So I have been building an exterior wood door for my parents house in California. They are in a very temperate climate with maybe only 2-4 inches of rain per year. When researching what I could use as a good top coat I ran across this article.

The meat and potatoes is that using a #4 base neural untinted paint meant for siding provides a durable coat glossy finish with minimal upkeep.

I would love to hear your thoughts. Right now, this is the finish I am planning on using do if you don't like it or the idea of it, I would appreciate you giving a durable alternative.

I've never used that technique, but I did see it recommended in a book I have from American Woodworker. They were suggesting it for your exact case of an exterior door wanting a long-lasting finish to stand up to weather+UV. I'm not sure if that legitimizes the idea for you or not.

I'd highly recommend trying it on some scrap wood finished the same as the door to make sure the final look would be acceptable.