Review: Festool Reconditioned CT48

Tom Cancelleri

I got my Cleantex 48 in today from the recondition sale. First, shipping... I don't get why it was on a pallet and had to have a freight carrier deliver it. Regardless, it got here unharmed. 

First thoughts, in the original packaging and retaped. Upon pulling out the vacuum from the box some dirt on the wheels, which is expected. A couple of little scuffs on the latches where it probably was rolled into a bench or tool or something. I might try to clean them off with some mineral spirits. Opened up the vacuum, the manual was a little bent which is no big deal, the hose was clean, there was a new self cleaning bag, the bar to wrap the power cord around, 2 screws to mount the power cord reel. The inside of the vacuum was immaculate, the HEPA filter looked new. 

Powered it on, hooked up my dewalt 5" ROS (My ETS 150/3 will be here tomorrow) and gave it a go, everything works correctly, it's quiet as could be. 

Overall I'm impressed at the like new condition of a used item.

Some things that still boggle my mind. The 27mm hose is pretty damn small, but great for my sanders and my small 6" disc/1" belt sander. Back to the hose, it's a bit stiff and for that price for a hose I would expect it to be a bit more flexible. It reminds me of the hoses that you hook to a pool filter to vacuum the bottom. 

post-16369-0-31745300-1416349822_thumb.j

post-16369-0-44718800-1416349823_thumb.j

post-16369-0-32859700-1416349824_thumb.j

post-16369-0-12362900-1416349825_thumb.j

Festool has a 30 day return policy on all items. Items that are bought and returned get returned to Festool for reconditioning for them to resell through their participating vendors. I think as an authorized dealer it's a requirement that you return it to them versus selling as "open box" Reasoning behind that is that they don't want something that might have an issue to be sold and "tarnish" their reputation to someone who might never buy another Festool item because there was an issue with it. This item was used as it had the typical rolled around the shop dust on the wheels. 

I'm chomping at the bit to leave work and go home and wait for the UPS guy, or even better hunt him down and get my package from him, then go do some sanding. Now all I need is to buy paper, lots of paper. I got a box of 50 Rhynogrip 150 grit 6" 9 hole paper for 12 bucks which is a damn good price. I have some Festool 5" paper and no 5" Festool sander, got 2 boxes of 50 Rubin paper 100, and 150 for 3 bucks at an auction.  I'll probably pick up some 6" Rubin paper or go with some abranet. Thoughts? I sand bare wood before applying finish, then I'll have to look for options to finish the finish.

I have some Rhynogrip 9 hole and it works good. I called them and asked for some samples and they sent me a bunch. I also called Klingspor and they sent me samples of their PS33 - I just had to pay shipping. My dealer also threw in some Festool samples when he shipped my CT/ETS. What I have found that all the paper lasts a lot longer with the Festool system compared to the big box sanders. 

I have a lot of paper from all the samples but will probably use the Klingspor PS33 once I need to buy more. The backing on the Kingspor is better than the Rhynogrip which gets beat up after while.

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/category.aspx?id=21&f1=6%22+X+17+HOLE&f3=STEARATE+A%2fO