Newbie Workbench

Mzdadoc

Being that I'm very green but still in need of a quality work bench should I even attempt at doing a hard wood glue up top or should I just go two or three sheets of hard wood plywood?

My jointer is a 6" and my planer is a 13". Just giving details about what tools I have. I wouldn't mind doing a glue up but I was at Woodcraft where they were doing a top for a customer and it seemed pretty uneven with a lot of gaps and I don't know if I have the experience to over come that plus I don't know what he would have done wrong or is that to be expected????

Can't speak to the hard wood glue up, but my bench is similar to your latter option.

3 sheets of ply, topped with one of those 6ft laminated panels from a big box. Serves me fine, although I do have some sag on the 2 overhanging ends, so that might be something to consider in your design.

Heavy as heck and have no (material) issues doing chisel work on it from a 'give' perspective.

On thing about a ply-only top is that nicks and deep cuts in the veneer can marr your work.

Paul Sellers has a very accessible bench build on youtube starting here.

Marc has a great option on his site for a split top 

http://thewoodwhispererguild.com/members/projects/split-top-roubo/

Or if you fancy it most old trade books have plans along with a more modern example http://www.amazon.co.uk/Workbenches-Design-Construction-Popular-Woodworking/dp/1558708405 

And there is nothing wrong with some studs screwed together with a sheet or two of ply on the top. 

A bench can be a hollow-core door on a couple sawhorses if you want it to be.  The question is, as always...what do YOU want out of a bench?  The more interest you have in getting into hand tools, the more critical the bench becomes.  You can clamp a workpiece to just about anything and run a router or sander across it.  Hand sawing and planing, chiseling, etc...different story.  Mass, a flat bench top (and one that can be re-flattened), and work-holding ability are all paramount.

Don't ever shy away from a build because you think it will be challenging.  You'll never learn if you don't take risks and push yourself to do new things.

Personally, I don't like investing tons of time in building temporary things.  I like to do it right the first time around and be done with it.  That doesn't mean I don't often change my mind later and what I thought was permanent becomes temporary...but I have an aversion to wasting time on consciously interim projects.  But that's me.

I'm about to rap up my unplugged class so I have invested a few hundred dollars in hand tools and do want to continue so I do need a rock solid bench to do so. I do want to build a bench to last a very long time.

I will watch the video and thank you for the link.

As far as projects vs building a bench I agree but I'm trying to finish this final shop needed tool if you will so I won't need really anything else other than materials a misc smaller tools here and there.

I have a question for those with more experience at this. I have some old general benches in my shed that have steel frames and Jarrah slabs bolted down to the steel frame. The slabs are maybe 3"-4" thick (probably close to 3" after surfacing) and maybe 6"-8" wide each. They are old timber reclaimed (I believe) form an old wool shed that was built over a hundred years ago. Some have cupped slightly but are otherwise very sound. However the surface is ratty but a thin swipe with a low setting with a hand power planner reveals a sound board underneath.

I saw a simple and cheap design in fine Woodworking using 3/4" (19mm here) ply that would require roughly 2 sheets. Our local hardware (Bunnings) has some really nice 19mm hard wood ply for about $100 per sheet so I would only need some glue and a couple of sheets of that to complete the bench and then joint and glue enough of the Jarrah slabs to complete the top.

Does anybody see any flaws in this approach? The legs would be about 4" square and the skirts would be 3 lengths wide so they would be quite stable. I would use a modified version of the FW design. I would make a ply apron with the Jarrah slab sitting inside the apron, or maybe just sit the Jarrah slab on top with no apron, but maybe some bolted ends made form the same Jarrah. Hopefully in the future if needed I could re-use the top and make solid wood legs if I so desired.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

John