Used 14" bandsaw - what do you think?

estesbubba

I have a 17" bandsaw and would like to get a 14" to keep a smaller blade on for curves. This was posted over the weekend and I called the guy. The saw is 10 years old and looks in mint condition and Jet sells an updated version of it for $750 which is way overpriced IMO. Did some searches on the older version which people bought used and had problems finding parts. It just seems Jet isn't what it was 10 years ago and generally Grizzly sells more machine for less these days.

If the guy would let it go for $300 I would have probably bought it over the weekend. He'll go down to $350, but for $200 more I can get a brand new Grizzly with quick-release tension plus more. The Jet has a closed stand but does that matter? What do you guys think?

https://omaha.craigslist.org/tls/4931661471.html

I think your lowballing the guy. :) A closed stand does make a difference if its really a closed stand meaning motor in the stand. Personally I would not buy a bandsaw that had the motor or belt in the wheel housing. It looks like that one has the motor in the stand and the belt under a shroud.  

I think a lot of parts for that saw will interchange with a lot of other saws. I have a 14" masterforce, and it's identical to almost all the cast iron framed 14" saws out there, other than maybe motor placement, mine is in the wheel housing, but the frame and guide setup are all pretty much identical.

After several no-shows to pick up the saw over the past week the guy sent me a text "if you pick the saw up today..."

Hit the ATM and ran there over lunch to check it out. Blade had tension released and tires had nice crown with no signs of wear which is one sign he took care of it. Table has a few spots of surface rust which will be easy to remove. Fence looks like it sucks but I plan to use this for curved work and the table key is missing. Wheels spin freely with no wobble and saw runs very quietly so I brought her home.

IMG_0573.JPG

IMG_0574.JPG

Nice find. You can get a new table leveling pin for a few bucks. Now go build your Roubo and make me want to order vise hardware and consume the rest of my shop space.

Started it on Sunday...

IMG_0572.JPG

Looks like it was very well taken care of. That's a huge luxury having a dedicated saw for curves, one I have contemplated myself. Now you just need a second Sawstop with a dedicated Dado in it.  :)

Have this sitting in my garage I need to put on CL...

IMG_0490.JPG