Any experience jobbing out parts-cutting to CNC shop?

Willin

I used to do this back in the kitchen-contracting days, using Thermwood's eCabinets software.  We designed the kitchens and presented the work using Sketchup and Kerkythea, and batched the cabs using eCabs, then emailed the job files to our supplier with the router.  Big jobs of 25 to 35 sheets, never a problem.

But now I have a little project in which some very simple parts are needed in 1/2" and 3/4" cherry plywood, and am wondering whether it might be cost-effective to have them CNC-cut.

Unlike before, I will need to give a shop my parts drawings on paper, or .pdf, or if they can use it, .dxf.  And there will be programming time.

So how might this go, and what can I expect to spend, for a job the size of mine, two 4x8 sheets of 3/4", and one sheet of 1/2"?

The majority of CNC shops I've worked with can easily handle dxf formats.  If it's a simple 2D cutout, the programming will be minimal, provided that the dxf is relatively clean, e.g. arcs are arcs rather than joined line segments.

How much depends in part on where you're located, but figure on it being around $75 - $125 per hour.

i often  operate the CNC router at the scenic shop i work in. all our drawings must be 2d polylines in dxf format but this can vary from place to place but dxf is universal, hence the name, drawing exchange format. we dont do outside jobs often, if ever. only our in house projects but we charge somewhere between $100-$125 per hour.