Rasp's, what grains?

Southwood

OK know the type I am wanting, Auriou.

What I don't know about is which grains. Thinking 12" Half Round, 3 grain. 10" Cabinet, 9 grain. 7" Modelers, 13 grain. Somebody had a blog post or video, might have even been Marc during the rocker series, about which ones to purchase. I think these choices are close to what was recommended. 

Ideas, comments? 

The 10" 9 grain is the recommended first rasp to buy because it's kind of in the middle...cuts fast(ish) and leaves a fairly clean surface.  Needs plenty of sanding afterward but not like the lower grains.

Unless you're planning to do some major meat removal, the 3 grain may be too coarse.  I have a 5 grain that cuts like a chainsaw.  Don't use it all that often because it's so coarse but I do pull it out from time to time.  I use 9 grains and higher far more often.

• Like 2

You know the inevitable answer...it depends. :) ...on the kind of work you're planning to do.

I think the three you picked out would make a good starter set.  Just be aware that The Hog will be super aggressive.  It'll remove material in a hurry but it's gonna leave a mess of the wood.  I'd probably get a 5 grain instead...but again...I don't know what you're planning to do with them.  If you intend to turn a log into a toothpick with just rasps...you might want the 3. :D

• Like 1

Chris's suggestions make sense, obviously.  But if you need to remove lots of material quickly the 9 grain will get you a little worn out...it cuts fast but only so fast.  It's great for refining curves that you've already roughed out, but it doesn't hog meat anything like a 3 or 5 grain.  I think one coarse rasp in your collection is a nice thing to have.

I don't use the rat tail as often as I thought I would, but it comes in handy when the need arises.  I would put it lower on the priority list than Schwarz does.  But he's the Schwarz.  And again, it depends on the kind of work you do...perhaps he finds a need for it more often with the style of furniture he builds...which I don't encounter nearly as often.

Rasps are like hand planes...once you start you get sucked into a black hole.  I'm up to at least a dozen or fifteen...and I'd like a few more. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Rasps are like hand planes...once you start you get sucked into a black hole.  I'm up to at least a dozen or fifteen...and I'd like a few more. :D

Yes I just bought the 10" 9 grain (or maybe 9" 10 grain, can't remember) and it is addictive.

How fine of a surface does a 13 grain leave?  What sand paper grit would you equate it to?  80 grit or rougher than that?  Trying to decide if it will save much sanding time after shaping with the 9 grain.  

That's tough to say, Mike.  One of the great things about good rasps is that, after you get some practice with them, you can be really aggressive and move meat, or fairly delicate and leave a surprisingly clean surface.  With most of the middle/upper grains it's about how you approach the wood that decides how fast you'll remove material and how rough the surface will be.

So if you're trying to remove material quickly with a 13 grain, you'll probably leave a surface similar to 36 grit, but if you get good with it and you learn the fine touch, you could probably end up with a surface as smooth as 120.  Of course you usually rasp whichever direction you need to rasp without regard for grain direction, so that will be a factor.  Obviously cross-grain will leave more visible scratches than with the grain.