Help identifying wood type and finishing suggestions

EHirst

Hello all. I am in the process of stripping an old dresser. I believe the dresser to be two types of wood. A lighter wood that makes up the body of the dresser and then very thick veneer facing on the drawers, top and sides of the dresser. The dresser is from Paine furniture based on a metal stamp, so I think it is early 1900's. I took off the paint expecting to find damage but the wood looks in good shape so I would like to stain it rather than reprinting. I used a heat gun, one round of  citristrip, although there is still some paint in the grain, which you can see in the picture. 

I think based on the grain and reddish hue that the veneer is mahogany? I am not sure about the lighter wood. Any tips on how to approach finishing for an even color and minimizing the redness would be appreciated. Would conditioning the wood be recommended? And would filling the grain before staining make for a better finish/ hide the white flecks? I've done basic staining with min wax stains before, but this is a big piece of furniture so I want it to look good. Thanks! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I'll defer to Eric on the wood ID. As for finishing suggestions, there will surely be many opinions offered. Mine is to go another couple of rounds with the citristrip, getting all the paint off. Grain filler won't really cover pores that are already filled with paint. Using grain filler will allow a smoother final finish, without resorting to an extremely thick coating. I am coming to detest pigment stains of any sort, so if the wood's natural color doesn't suit you, I'd go with a dye or a tinted clear coat. Perhaps even one of the various shades of shellac that are available.