knotscott

Toilet Seat Guitar

9 posts in this topic

Telecrapper, Johnny-Rocker, Poo-caster, Stratocrapper, Fannypack, Eric Crapton signature, The Hamerrhoid, Less Paul American Standard, Gibson #2 ...whatever you want to call it, I’d think twice about doing a guitar lick on this thing!

Had some fun piddlin around in the shop this week. This is a Christmas gift for my younger kids. They watched me build a real guitar for their older brother last summer, and made several comments about wanting a guitar too. The problem is that none of them play, so it’s hard to justify the time and money of building a nice guitar…the Poo-caster was just the ticket. Guitar builds don’t get much simpler than this….one pickup wired straight to a jack. We already had the neck, the pickup, and saddle, so I only had to buy the tuning pegs, toilet seat, strings, and a jack cover. Fitting the seat, and spacing the bridge saddle and neck are the most critical parts, and I wasn’t overly fussy about it. I’ve probably got 4 hours and ~ $40 into it. I just got it strung and fired up this week, and it seems to work fine. Still need to add a strap. We’re going to wrap it in toilet paper and put it under the tree. It’s a far cry for fine woodworking, but hopefully they will all have a good time with this.

terlit012.jpg

terlit013.jpg

terlit015.jpg

terlit014.jpg

The build:

This was as simple as an electric guitar can get. I bought a cheap wood veneered toilet seat (poo-dook IIRC), removed the hardware and spacers, split the seat, and located the neck and saddle, then mounted them to the inside of the seat cover. I wired the pickup directly to the output jack (no knobs), and used an inverted Strat style jack cover bent over the space where the seat splits. You guessed it....the finish is wiping varnish, and yes boys have to put the seat up to play, and there will be a line for the girls to use it on busy nights. ;)

terlit001.jpg

terlit002.jpg

terlit005.jpg

I LOVE this! I might have to steal this idea and spring it on a guitar playing friend of mine! :D

I like the name Telecrapper!

Quite creative. I've always wanted to make my hubby a guitar...but I just don't know if I"d have the patience for that long and tedious project. Now this one seems like I could build it without too much stress...but I wonder if my hubby would play it!!! Ha ha...our luck it will probably sound better than all his other guitars!!! Great idea, thanks for sharing it with us.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 113 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dashboy67
    Newest Member
    Dashboy67

• Popular Now

• Topics

• Miter Station
      Thanks Bob!  I enjoyed your visit today!
    • Very basic question from a newbie
      Loaded question indeed! For starters, why stain wood?  Why not just use the type of wood that you like for a project rather than stain it to look like that?  Paint is a totally different issue. Next up is the amount of protection needed.  In the case of your bench, it needs very little "protection" as it's going to take a beating anyway.  You're just looking for something to keep glue from sticking and that is easily repairable so, and oil finish should work just fine..  I used Tried and True on mine and am happy so far.  A kitchen table is a totally different animal!  And then if you want to consider UV protection or out door use, it goes a whole nother direction!  Think Epifanes. As for the looks, you also have to consider lacquer.  They build a thicker film that creates a different look.  They also scratch easier. In the Poly realm, you have oil based stuff which tends to add a bit more of the wood's color along with a little protection - Arm-R-Seal comes to mind here.  Then you have the water borne versions which tend to not discolor the natural color of the wood but building up a thick film leads to that "plastic like" look. Something else to consider, do you have the ability to spray or do you need to brush/wipe on? There's just way too many factors to consider when deciding what finish to use.  You'll will not just have one "go to" finish for every project!  It's best to think about finishing based on the piece you're building and its intended use.  Finishing is not a "one size fits all" based on matte, satin, or gloss finish.
      I went down the rabbit hole at one point and threw my hands up. It was just too much for me to want to care about.  Sealers, barriers, topcoat,  multi stage finished..ugh  I decided I needed 3 options.  Interior light duty Interior heavy duty Exterior.  One aside is that I started using a single coat of dewaxed shellac under everything.  Being that it's a universal binder, it would ward off anything on the surface from mucking up my finish.  Finish doesn't have to be complicated. I'm still learning with dyes and tinting but I know that no matter what I do with my colors,  my finish of choice will be fine.  Take a step back,  reaffirm to yourself that it doesn't have to be as complicated as it CAN be,  and you'll feel better. 
      There just seems to be a mind numbing amount of choices.  For the most part, I've refinished hardwood floors and then what other small woodworking projects I've done, I stuck to what I know...polyurethane.  I did; however, just put a table top together for my workbench and went with...stain then Danish oil then a couple of coats of wax...it came out wonderful and I understand what you mean by feel of the surface.  Only thing is that I went with Danish oil because that seemed to be what kept coming up when googling the subject not because I have any real understanding of why.  That's not to say that I didn't / don't understand that a polyurethane surface is not what I want on a workbench.  There are just so many other options...boiled linseed oil, tung oil, varnish etc etc and I really have no idea what the difference truly is and why to pick one over another in any given circumstance.
  • Popular Contributors

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room