Another Keepsake Box

TomP

This was my first buld of a keepsake box. It is for my daughter and son-in-laws 5th wedding anniversary. Finished it this week with my finger tips frozen. Had to apply the finish in the house. I got the idea from Woodsmith magazine. The hardest part was cutting the diamonds and parallelograms. It took some doing to cut the diamonds in half :blink: . I hope you like the way it looks. It came out better than I expected.

post-343-0-93204700-1293045498_thumb.jpg

post-343-0-86155800-1293045524_thumb.jpg

This thing is FANTASTIC! i'd love to know how you did the diamond pattern. It's beautiful

Thanks Nick. I cut the diamonds on the table saw at 30 degree angle. That wasn't bad once I figured the sizes out. It was cutting the diamonds in half and the smaller ones to get the outline.

Bit late on this; somehow missed it! I love the diamond pattern. They look pretty tight; if I did it, it would be more Letterman-style ('lil gappy).

Hopefully you used a jig on the tablesaw to put some distance between you and the blade on those miters. Miters tend to pull the work in!

Bit late on this; somehow missed it! I love the diamond pattern. They look pretty tight; if I did it, it would be more Letterman-style ('lil gappy).

Hopefully you used a jig on the tablesaw to put some distance between you and the blade on those miters. Miters tend to pull the work in!

Thanks Paul, some are not as tight as others, it took a little doing to figure the diamonds out even though I was following a diagram. The large diamonds were cut on the table saw using the eraser end of the pencil on the smaller end. To cut the diamonds in half was tricky. You really don't won't to know just how close my finger was to the blade :o But I did the cuts very slowly and carefully using the miter saw. I finished it before going to CA, so my finger tips were a little frozen working on it after work in my garage shop. The bottom left small piece took me a while to get it to fit right. All I have to do when we get back home is clean my mess up :D