Stickered cherry wood, now streaks

PWRFULZ3R0

I have some cherry boards that I milled, glued up, and surfaced about 6 months ago. (We bought a house and moved.) Now I'm ready to continue with this project now that I have some more time.

I left the cherry stickered in the corner of my shop. When I got it out today I noticed the wood stickers prevented the cherry from aging where they contacted the boards. I'm ready to move on to finishing but I'm not sure if these "streaks" will go away.

I was going to sand everything with 220 but now I'm wondering if I should hand plane these un-aged spots out. Will they always be there if I finish over top? Or will these even out quickly?

Going to stick a board in the sun and see what happens. Thanks0c0cddc985c35fc88c910275af0df091.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mask everything except the streaks. Put the boards out for a few hours in the full sun and see if that evens things out.

Thanks, I'll give this a try. I was able to remove a little of the contrast by sanding, but it's still noticeable.

If I didn't do this, would it have ever evened out? Or because some of the wood got a "head start", it wouldn't ever even out? Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On a long enough timeline, the color will all even out on its own.  It's no different than when you move a rug on a hardwood floor and it's much lighter underneath.  After a few months the lines fade and the color difference is unnoticeable.  I'd just move to finish and put the finished piece in the sun for a while.

• Like 1