all in a days work with Hand Planes

Tom King

Sorry, I don't know what a 5-1/2 is specifically for.  I don't have one.  I didn't intend originally to have two no. 6's, but just the way it worked out, and it's been a real asset having both set up with different cambers.  I don't bother to keep up with plane history.  I don't even know what types all my planes are.  I'm just thinking about getting the work done.

If these pieces were going in furniture, the 6's would get followed by a no. 7, which I have set for final flattening taking only about a thou and a half over the width of the iron.

I like full width cambers, and see no real purpose for only rounding off the corners. 

I'll try to get some video the next day I work on these.  I have an HD camera, and have gotten used to using it, but there is not enough light in that room.  I have some photography lights on stands ordered, so hopefully they'll get here pretty soon.

• Like 1

Today, I just flattened a few when I had a little time in between periods of overcast working on a white standing seam roof. No trouble with the little finger. Only ten left to flatten after today. I'll run them down to a common thickness on the big bandsaw/resaw, and hit the backs with a smoothing plane. It works really good, without building up a sweat doing a few at a time, so that's the plan to finish the rest of them when.

I get asked all the time by someone who doesn't understand working on old houses, "When are you going to be finished?"  My most common answer is, "When there's nothing left to do." 

• Like 1

I thought to buy a battery for the micrometer today. The thicker cutting no.6 shaving was a bit thinner than my estimate, and the thinner cutting one was a little thicker.

On a full width shaving the coarse cutting no. 6 takes a shaving .014350 at the thickest part in the middle of the shaving. The second cut no.6 takes .00880 in the middle of a full width shaving. I had estimated the first one at 15 thou, and the second one at a little less than half that. It definitely takes way less than half the effort using the second one.

I just stumbled into this setup, but really like it. I bought the first no. 6 because it was in good shape and cheap, but needed a few parts. Sometime later I bid on a couple of other no. 6s on ebay, and ended up winning both of them. It's been long enough ago that I don't remember what I paid for them, but since I bought them, it couldn't have been very much. I did no rust removal on any of the parts, since they were in pretty decent shape. Out of the three planes, I ended up with two complete users. I have no idea, and don't care what the type numbers are, or when they were made. It really does work out to be a good combination for rough flattening though.

Only six left after today.

• Like 1