A good deal?

BeautysBeast

If it is common grade it is a fair price.  If it is select grade or better, it is a great price.   If the seller is unwilling to grade it, then he really won't be able to get better than a common grade price.  No one will pay a select and better or FAS price for a lot of lumber that hasn't been graded.  If you buy the whole lot for $1.6bd ft, you are basically betting that most of it is above common grade.   Most lumber you see retail is FAS grade, hence the higher price.  

That's about the right wholesale price for kiln dried select or better kiln dried cherry.  My yard retails it at $2.90 so $1.60 sounds about right...that is if you consider 500 bf wholesale - which it's not - so yeah I'd say it's a good deal...as long as it was properly dried and it's not all sapwood.

If you buy that pile you'll find yourself with a whole lot of unusable garbage and even more just flat out ugly boards....but at that price, who cares.  Use the trash for secondary wood and cutting boards, etc.

• Like 1

apparently the guy who owns the wood brother is a proffessor at UofK. They were building a solar kiln, and this was the first batch of wood that was run through it. It was allegedly dried to 4%. The guy redid his stairs with it, and says it is pretty, with some curly in it as well. He is willing to break it up, and of course, everything is negotiable. Im thinking of offering him 500 for all of it as I know it is just sitting in his garage at this point. Didn't think I could go wrong at 1.00 a bf

• Like 1