Trestle table in the works

Deckchef

Hello. Long time follower of Marc and Matt. I'm starting a 8' walnut table with breadboard ends. I'm going to tenon the breadboard but my question is how should I join the sides of all the long boards to allow for movement. I don't do biscuits or dominoes so I was thinking either dowels or a glue joint with no glue from the shaper?  The base is going to be an "x" design for those that are curious. 

Unless I'm reading wrong, don't worry about movement that direction.  Any dowels would aid in alignment and make glue up easier, but the long grain glue joint is all the strength you'd need.  Because the movement would be across the grain, all the boards will move at the same rate so the long grain glue joints will remain in tact.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Deckchef said:

Ok. Great. So I will glue up the long board like normal and the breadboard will be glued and pegged in the middle tenon and pegged on the outside tenon and all the tenons will have a 1/4 loose fit 

You could pin them from the bottom and not drill all the way thru the top..  This way, the pins wouldn't be seen but, still be functional.

• Like 2