Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ChetlovesMer

"Special" Half Blind Dovetails

4 posts in this topic

Just curious.

I want to make some special Half-blind dovetails on a desk drawer. The drawer is Cherry on Cherry and I want to cap the end of the part with the pins in Walnut, maybe ebony. The drawer will be used a lot. Is there any worry about attaching the end grain of the cherry to the long grain of the decorative piece?

I assume you just glue the end piece on and then cut the pins as normal? But I've never done this technique before. I'm looking for watchouts. The effect I'm going for is similar to what is shown in this photo I'm attaching.

Thanks for any and all input.

post-2771-0-98490500-1326654825_thumb.jp

End grain glue joints aren't very strong. You are essentially applying a veneer to an end grain, and I'd be concerned that the glue bond would fail. Unfortunately, I can't think of a way to re-enforce it. Maybe rough up the surfaces and use an epoxy?

If I'm understanding this, you want to trap the decorative wood in the dovetail?

If so, I think you'll be OK. "Prime" the end grains with glue before attaching the part with more glue. Once you assemble the joint, it'll all be glued and trapped nicely.

If I didn't understand... neeeeeeevermind........

I think I'll just try it and count on the dovetail shape holding the decorative end in place.

I fiddled around with trying to cut some splines into the back of the piece and it became really ugly really fast.

Epoxy might be a good idea.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Popular Now

• Topics

• NOT-Roubo Workbench: Just to be Differnt
      @Pwk5017 Auctions: yes.  $800: in my dreams.  36 inch band saw: almost bought it but I opted for the 20 inch Northfield bandsaw.  After reading about all manner of power tools, I fell in love with Northfiled tools.  I set out to deck out my workshop with all Northfield tools. At this point, the only item I am missing is a Northfiled planer but I am not done looking. Back to the project:  I had a couple of hours of shop time today.  The top is planed and ready to for glue up.  The top was supposed to be 4.0 inches but to get all the components to equal thickness and avoid too much hand planing, the final thickness turned out to be 3.975.  Still very happy with the way it turned out.  I did use my Domino to help keep the pieces aligned. Pretty flat surface for the workbench top.   The edge is lined up to be crosscut with a handsaw (ordered a Lie-Nielsen).  Do not have a track saw and really not sure I want to spend the money.  I wonder if Shaney has one too many Festool track saws?  I am thinking he got such a good deal and bought one and forgot that he had one already.  Maybe he can let me borrow it for about 2-3 years.  I am good about returning borrowed tools.    Biggest lesson learned so far: cut the pieces for the top to appropriate length with clean cuts at both ends.  When I build my next workbench in 18 years, I will keep that in mind. The apron is milled and ready to go.  When I was choosing this workbench, I had a really difficult time visualizing how the mechanism for the twin-screw vise would fit under the top but now, I feel pretty stupid.  The two screws go on either side of the leg and there is space enough for the components under the top. Need a bit of advice: Lie-Nielsen vises come in 12, 18, and 24 inches.  I plan on making fine furniture with liberal use of dovetails and whatnot.  Which vice would you recommend?  I am having a hard time choosing between 18 and 24.  My brain tells me to go with the 24 (no difference in price) but my concern is that the bigger the vise, the more chances that it might rack.  Input appreciated.  I have not ordered the vice yet.
    • Safely making French dovetails
      The OP said that these posts had been sitting around for some time, so I'm guessing they're not as wet as a PT 4x4 right off the bunks at Lowe's. I think the router is the wrong tool altogether. How about using a table saw? Set a suitable bevel, run the pieces twice per face and then hog out the middle however is easiest. Perfectly centered dovetail slot done lickety split. Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk
    • A machine to make pool cues
      http://www.muellers.com/Joint-Pins-and-Inserts.html Muellers has the supplies. I believe cue makers use a metal lathe. There are special cue lathes to do shaft work and linen wraps. Good luck if you take up cue making.  A good custom cue is a work of art. I use Schon & Viking cues.
    • Shop Overhaul Rev 8675309
      Looks great! That tape is kind of a pain to put on but works great. I used it and and also applied a light bead of clear silicone on the top and bottom of my blast gates.
    • Fathers Day sales?
      I had a PM email today but, I tossed it..  You might look there..  I think the 6" was about 1100 bucks..
  • Popular Contributors

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room