Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

"Special" Half Blind Dovetails

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Just curious.

I want to make some special Half-blind dovetails on a desk drawer. The drawer is Cherry on Cherry and I want to cap the end of the part with the pins in Walnut, maybe ebony. The drawer will be used a lot. Is there any worry about attaching the end grain of the cherry to the long grain of the decorative piece?

I assume you just glue the end piece on and then cut the pins as normal? But I've never done this technique before. I'm looking for watchouts. The effect I'm going for is similar to what is shown in this photo I'm attaching.

Thanks for any and all input.

post-2771-0-98490500-1326654825_thumb.jp

Posted

End grain glue joints aren't very strong. You are essentially applying a veneer to an end grain, and I'd be concerned that the glue bond would fail. Unfortunately, I can't think of a way to re-enforce it. Maybe rough up the surfaces and use an epoxy?

Posted

If I'm understanding this, you want to trap the decorative wood in the dovetail?

If so, I think you'll be OK. "Prime" the end grains with glue before attaching the part with more glue. Once you assemble the joint, it'll all be glued and trapped nicely.

If I didn't understand... neeeeeeevermind........

Posted

I think I'll just try it and count on the dovetail shape holding the decorative end in place.

I fiddled around with trying to cut some splines into the back of the piece and it became really ugly really fast.

Epoxy might be a good idea.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Popular Now

• Topics

• Just one more coat....
      By Brendon_t · Posted
      I have the opposite.  I hate finishing and have to force myself to apply 3 coats of anything. 
    • Just one more coat....
      By Mike. · Posted
      There are so many variables it is hard to comment.  Solids content of the finish... how heavy you spray... how much sanding you do between coats (or after).  I agree the best advice is don't try to chase perfection off the gun...  especially if you are like me and using a small HVLP (5500) and no spray booth.   Generally speaking I lay down two good coats, lightly sanding in between, wait a week or two and rub out the finish as best I can.  
    • Just one more coat....
      By franklin pug · Posted
      I always think that one more coat will make the finish look better - it looks like I will need to change my evil ways.  From now on, I will attempt 2 coats of wb poly, and will not apply more than 3.
    • Just one more coat....
      By Dyami Plotke · Posted
      So long as the finished project looks good, don't worry about how many coats. I'm working on a small panel which currently has about 4 coats of dye and 5 of shellac. It's not done yet.
    • Right surge protector??
      By Tsam · Posted
      Hi forum! I'm in the market for a surge protector, but I'm getting lost with all these joules, gauges and amp ratings.  I'm planning to plug in a scroll saw (the Dewalt 788, 1.3 Amp), a belt/disc sander (not sure on amps), a work light, a couple of lithium battery chargers, and possibly more.  And I'd like a cord length of 6-8 feet.  Can anyone direct me to a good buy for these purposes?  From what I'm understanding, I'll want at least 600 joules and at least a 14 gauge cord, but I'm new to power tools and want to make sure I don't fry my stuff!  Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!
  • Popular Contributors

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room