Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Grizzly G5959z, Any Thoughts

6 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I have the oppurtunity to purchase a Grizzly g5959z table saw. It is a left-tilting 5 HP 12 inch saw. I don't really know anything about it other than that.

Just wondering if anybody has any experience with this saw? It's much bigger than any saw I've used before, just starting to get all my tools together.

It does have a 1'' arbor, but you can buy a 5/8'' adapter. So, I guess that means I would be able to use all my 10'' blades and dado stacks on it.

I'm not sure if it has a riving knife or if you can get one for it. May just have to do a splitter like the one in Marks recent video.

Just wanting any input you might have on this saw, good or bad.

Thanks

Posted · Report post

Do you have the electrical requirement to run saw and dust collector at same time?

Posted · Report post

Do you have the electrical requirement to run saw and dust collector at same time?

Yeah I'm set up for the saw. Just don't know if it's worth picking up, and for what price?

Posted · Report post

Iv'e never used one or seen one in person, but I'm remember when they were current. I've read posts from a couple of happy owners, and don't recall any complaints. It's got a traditional splitter, no riving knife. It's big. That's about all I know about it. How much is it?

Keep us posted!

Posted · Report post

Iv'e never used one or seen one in person, but I'm remember when they were current. I've read posts from a couple of happy owners, and don't recall any complaints. It's got a traditional splitter, no riving knife. It's big. That's about all I know about it. How much is it?

Keep us posted!

Thanks for the info. It's $700.

No idea how old it is. Does that sound like a good price? It appears to be in good shape. Starts and runs fine as far as I can tell.

Posted · Report post

Thanks for the info. It's $700.

No idea how old it is. Does that sound like a good price? It appears to be in good shape. Starts and runs fine as far as I can tell.

$700 would be a fair price of a G1023 in good condition....the G5959Z is bigger and heavier duty. If it's in good shape and runs well, I'd think $700 is a good price if the saw suits your needs.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Popular Now

• Topics

• with just a few bucks
      By Eric. · Posted
      I always preach the big five...jointer, planer, table saw, bandsaw, router table.  Those are the core tools.  Then add a drill press.  Everything else is luxury.  For hand tools, a block plane, a good combo square, a few good chisels, a marking knife, a crosscut saw and a dovetail saw.  You could spend the rest of your life working on projects with just these tools and never NEED another one.  The definition of NEED clearly varies from person to person. Obviously this list exceeds "just a few bucks," but this is a list of tools that every semi-serious hobby shop should really have to do quality work.  There are, of course, ways around some of these tools, but those workarounds are usually a huge inconvenience and fairly often produce only mediocre results. It's not a cheap hobby.  Gonna take more than a few bucks.
    • Table saw rust
      By Beechwood Chip · Posted
      I just use paste wax, but for me the trick is that every time I use the machine, i give it a quick wipe down with my paste wax rag.  I don't add any more wax, I just use the same rag.
    • My first segmented bowl
      By Brendon_t · Posted
      I sold my early 60's shop smith years ago for something rediculous. I think I got in the $900 neighborhood for it.. that is a great bowl you've got there. Well done.
    • Just had to see what was beneath all the tearout
      By Brendon_t · Posted
      Great deal indeed.  At woodcraft when they do have the short pieces, they're like $30.
    • with just a few bucks
      By h3nry · Posted
      I know you guys are talking power-tools so I'm a bit off topic here - but just for giggles I dug out all the tools I used to make my first project. Not pictured is the cheap knock-off B&D workmate bench. Using S4S lumber took care of all the heavy milling (at the time I didn't know you could even buy rough lumber). Add consumables like glue, sandpaper and finish and that's all. The whole lot (including the wood and consumables) cost about $300CAD - my biggest expense after wood was probably clamps... For my second project I added a router (power!) to do fancier joinery, and more clamps. Before the third project I built the workbench and then acquired some hand-planes and saws so I could mill rough lumber. By my fourth project I was right down the hand-tool rabbit hole and started gathering joinery planes etc. And soon after that the addiction had bitten deep enough that cost isn't important - I know what I want and pay what I have to to get it. So why didn't I start out with power-tools? The short answer is that it never occurred to me that I should. The only people I had ever seen using power-tools were professionals, all the amateur woodworking I had ever seen, either dad at home, or in school woodwork classes was all unplugged - it just happened to turn out that I prefer it that way. So I'm not sure what my advice to a new beginner would be, probably not very useful. Buy some wood, use whatever tools come to hand, don't stress, and have fun.
  • Popular Contributors

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room