Cutting a perfect squares out of sheets

Kuhn315

I've never seen or heard of the magnetic clamps, I think I'm just going to go with the 2x4 rails with a dado, i think that might be my best best to prevent side to side play and hopefully guaranteeing the fence will be squre with the miter slots/blade, still have to figure out a good clamping method so both ends of the fence dont move. I will be starting the fence tonight and will probably run into a problem and have to ask another question, soo stay tuned!! haha

Ok, so this is the start of my fence, I took a 2x4 and planed all 4 edges and then screwed melamine to that. I'm probably going to add a couple pieces of 2x4 maybe 4 or so to add extra support towards the top of the fence, hopefully later I can finish the rail system.

Oh and if anyone is wondering all the screw holes....like an idiot, when I was setting up where the table saw was going to go, I never (mirrored the position) so when I screwed the frame around the table saw, cut the square out and went to flip the table top over, the square was in the wrong place...didnt think that one through, so i was left with all these screw holes..I just counterseunk the holes and I dont think they will be a problem.

602823_4540342790178_206003099_n.jpg

You could cut a shallow groove across the front and back groove and use peel and stick tape measures. Clamp the fence on the numbers, front and rear.

Yup! I already bought the peel and stick tape measure, I was originally going to do that, but I think I'm going to decide putting it on the rail, dont really want to cut a horizontal groove on the table, just in case the groove is too shallow and then having the piece possibly get hung up on it, and I dont have a long enough straight edge for my router. I'll be able to cut the shallow groove in the rail using my router table and feel like I have more control over a straight line.

You could add the front and rear tapes to the front and rear edge of your table, weren't you going to add a wood strip for the Tee bolts?. I am pretty sure a table that big and any sort of homemade fence will not be square consistently . Play with clamping the fence parrallel to the blade and inserted saw untill you get a quality cut, no pinching or burning. Then mark a line and set both tapes. Might take a little longer to clamp both ends of the fence but it should give you pretty good accuracy.

You could add the front and rear tapes to the front and rear edge of your table, weren't you going to add a wood strip for the Tee bolts?. I am pretty sure a table that big and any sort of homemade fence will not be square consistently . Play with clamping the fence parrallel to the blade and inserted saw untill you get a quality cut, no pinching or burning. Then mark a line and set both tapes. Might take a little longer to clamp both ends of the fence but it should give you pretty good accuracy.

I tested out some pieces just by measuring from the blade to the fence and clamping it down with some f clamps, I didn't do any measuring but the cut seemed square to the naked eye, that was going to be my next question is to how to set up the tape to make sure 1" is really 1" . And I figured I would have to clamp both sides since like you said it's home made, but that little extra time wont bother me, i dont think so anyways  :lol: Thanks for the input guys, I really do appreciate it!

• 2 weeks later...

If you haven't subscribed to the free email newsletter, I'd suggest checking out the service from PlansNOW.com.  (This week's newsletter included the free download/tip page about T-Tracks, and the variety of types/styles.)

You don't have to buy anything from them, but I like to check out the designs periodically.  I just got mine today, and figured you might benefit from it.  If I wasn't on a shared computer, I'd post the link... as it is, IT doesn't like me doing this (already tried) so I'll have to get back tonight...unless someone else has the link they can post.)