Getting started in Baltimore

Chuck Melton

I've always been intrigued by woodworking, I attribute to seeing too many episodes of The New Yankee Workshop at an impressionable age. At the age of 31 I've decided to start actually getting some tools together and giving it a go.

I am most of the way to having what I think should be a servicable shop in the way of power tools. I am learning that I certainly have some hand tools to buy, and I have an absolute ton to learn before I start spending cash on decent wood.

I have already found this community to be welcoming and resourceful and this is only my fourth post. I am going to try to write up my experience with getting started with a $500 power tool budget and what I learn from my first couple of projects.

Here is what I have on my project list so far:

- 2 sturdy saw horses (I know, this probably shouldn't count but they came out well made and I learned a thing or two)

- Drop leaf table saw outfeed table (I have the fixed portion attached to the saw and actually sitting level and the frame for the drop leaf top put together, next up are folding legs and the table surface)

-Wall hanging tool cabinet.

-Powertool work bench.

-The famous Wood Whisperer End Grain Cutting Board.

First of all, Welcome!

Some of the best first projects are shop accessories/furniture.  You can learn a ton from a work bench or tool cabinet, yet it's ok to make an oops now and then.  Just make sure each one you build, you push yourself to try something new, even if it really isn't unnecessary for the piece to function.