How do you put the radius on the end?

NYHump

Hi All,

Here is a problem I have all the time, I'm sure there is a simple answer but I can't seem to come up with one.

Ok, I have a cutting board I made and I have put 1/4 radius on both the flat surfaces. So picture a 12 x 20 x 1 1/4 board which now has a 1/4 radius on the top and bottom. How do I put the radius on the edge corners? Do I need another router say a palm router to do it? Right now I'm hand sanding them but they never seem to come out perfect. I'll ask the pros here, there has to be an easy way. Don't tell me to table rout the edge by standing the board on edge, been there done that and it doesn't work, even with a block keeping the board square.

Thanks

NYHump

Before you round any other corners clamp the board with one corner hanging off your bench. Hold your router horizontally, push the base firmly against the square edge of the board and route the corner in a vertical motion. It takes a bit of practice. You have to feel the flat edge, slide the bearing over to the corner of the board and route up or down depending on how you are approaching the corner using a normal feed direction( not climb cutting! ). It is not as hard as it sounds, after a little practice it gets easier and it does not have to be a perfect cut. You are going to route around the top and bottom of the board and then sand it.

Another way to acheive this is to clamp a thick scrap to the edge of the board to provide a flat spot to rest your router on and travel across the corner.

Flair, That seems the way to go as I do make a lot of boards. Thanks for the linky. The set that they have will give me all the radius choices I would need. Thanks, NYHump

I have the set, and they work great. A real time saver.

I think this jig is a "one-time" tool that was retired back in 2011. Maybe Richard still has some in stock, or if he gets enough requests he'll do another run. 

Joraft, You're correct, this was a one time and is retired. I put in a request but don't know if they will make more. Anybody have a set for sale? Just let me know, I sure could use them.

I checked out the entire web site and they have some really cool clamps set ups. Has anyone ever used there box clamps? I was looking at the 8 piece set they have and believe me if they work the way they say they do I really could use them for when I build my jewerly boxes.

NYHump

...  I love Woodpeckers, but I gotta draw the line somewhere...

So far, I've had a hard time drawing that line. :)

They have so many clever, time-saving tools. Yeah, I know I could make some of them, but it's so much easier to let someone else work out all the kinks.

... Has anyone ever used there box clamps? I was looking at the 8 piece set they have and believe me if they work the way they say they do I really could use them for when I build my jewerly boxes.

Yes, I have a set of the aluminum clamps. They work as advertised, it's like having an extra set of hands.

I have not tried the new poly carbonate model, which cost a lot less.

As it happens, there's a discussion about the clamps going on right now with Richard Hummel (Woodpeckers owner): Woodpeckers Box Clamps

• Like 1

Joratf, I agree, there are a lot of jigs we can make but looking at those Radius jigs I doubt that I could make them for the price! They are aluminum and should last forever! As far as the box clamps, if you have them and they work I can always use them. Another pair of hands is always a good thing, yes it's on my list, the aluminum ones, I'm a retired machinist and I doubt that I could make them for that price since I don't have a CNC mill in my garage Oboy more tools.........Now if I could only find a set of radius jigs.:) Seems everyone knows Richard (woodpeckers)maybe someone can give him a call and see if would take them out of retirement. Thanks All NYHump

... Seems everyone knows Richard (woodpeckers)maybe someone can give him a call and see if would take them out of retirement. Thanks All NYHump

He answers questions on talkFestool.com pretty quickly. Why not ask him there?

He did mention a while back that he gets more requests for another run of the radius jigs than any other one-time tool. You may not have to push him too hard. :) 

You know you could fairly easily make those out of ply or MDF.  I love Woodpeckers, but I gotta draw the line somewhere...

I'm also in agreement with you, and Vic, on this.  It's really frustrating considering I'm within a 20 minute drive of there, and I've rarely gotten decent service on the phone... You're almost pushed to order directly via web or through Woodcraft (don't get emails from Rockler, so I don't know if they go that route too).

He answers questions on talkFestool.com pretty quickly. Why not ask him there?

He did mention a while back that he gets more requests for another run of the radius jigs than any other one-time tool. You may not have to push him too hard. :) 

Not a member.yet