Getting a sense of the pricing at my local hardwood dealer

Chuck Melton

Daviddoria,

I Have not ordered from hardwood to go yet, but they advertise that you can pick it up in white marsh.

The closer place to me is Free State Timber in Timonium. Great place tons of selection and the guy that runs it is patient and helpful.

There is a place just south of Baltimore called World of Hardwoods. I haven't checked them out yet.

I stopped by a guy that runs a horse fencing company out between Westminster and Frederick last week and he had some great prices on local species. He air dries for a while then fishes off in a solar kiln. I got 33 BF of dry good looking walnut for about $100.

I saw purpleheart for $10 a bd ft in 4/4 and 8/4 at Atlanta Hardwoods today. They had a full rack of some beautiful wide 8/4 planks.

I just bought some cypress for an outdoor semi exposed cabinet we are building. It was $4.19 a bd ft for s4s 1x6 or $2.09 a linear ft. contractor/ trade prices. $ 2.94 a ft was the street price.

I picked up a stack of 4/4 s3s curly maple today for $1.89 a bd ft. One plank was 10" by 10 ft long! Didn't need it but couldn't resist cherry picking the pile at that price. As I always do the pile was neater when I was done with it.

:o  At that price there would be no need to restack the pile neatly because it would all be going in the back of my truck.  Hey Steve, have your dealer call my dealer and have him explain what curly maple should cost, would ya?  Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.mcilvain.com/

This place is 5 minutes from me and has been in business since 1798 but I am thinking I would be under their minimum order size.

That's where Shannon Rogers works... Would suggest contacting him about walking in for small amounts of lumber.

It's an hour for you, but Exotic Lumber Inc down in Annapolis was my go-to for years.

Recent price list from them shows 8/4 Hard Maple $6.10/bf, 8/4 Purple Heart $10.99/bf.

Bill owns a tree farm in South Africa where he gets most of his exotics, and otherwise is a real shark for finding great deals.

• 3 weeks later...

Ya'll are crazy... You need to find a woodmizer in your area and have him help you get good trunks from the local tree trimmers in the area. if he doesnt sell stuff already.. I pay 1.50 bf for any thickness I want. for Hard Maple, Red and White Oak and Hickory. I pay $2.50 for Black Walnut, cherry and Persimmon All at the same price no matter how thick I want it. Normally he gets logs from Tree trimmers that are decent or people who only want to harvest a few trees. Then sells them to area people at resonable prices.  If I bring it to him then he charges me around   $0.45 bf to cut however I order it. You guys need to get out of the shop a little more and make friends with a guy who as a big horizontal Band Saw. hahaha

• 2 months later...

Sorry I'm so ridiculously late on this post.  I missed it completely until I backtracked some links from my McIlvain website.  Topics like this usually end up being more confusing than helpful because there are soooooooooo many variables (think I need more o's in that) that effect the price.  For that matter, prices changes constantly so you can buy from the same guy one week and have the price be different next week.  Grade, thickness, width, length, dryness, face, cut, source, certification all will change a price.  Then you have to ask yourself how far down the supply chain is my dealer from the guy who actually cut down the tree.  How many people took their piece of the profit pie before it landed on the rack at my local dealer.  In Chuck's case he could call 4 dealers in the Baltimore area and get different prices.  If you find one that is dramatically different in domestic species then something is different.  The prevailing market keeps the pricing pretty similar because most of us can buy direct or pretty close to direct from the sawmill.  If not buying from the sawmill then they are probably all buying from the same wholesaler.  The only factor that really changes that is how far they had to truck in the material and the price of gas.  So if the price is really different you need to ask your self what is wrong with it.  Is it fully dry (6-8%), is it FAS, select, or common?  Those will change things around and if you are flexible you can get great deals on domestics.

Exotics are a totally different game and you will find wide variances in those species because there are usually many more people in the supply chain and a lot of regulatory and customs fees that drive the prices up.  Chuck, generally I can beat most prices because we are a wholesaler and the stuff I through our separate retail company has been purchased from overstock or mill over runs or "defects" and my cost is significantly lower than the other guys.  However, my selection isn't going to be as wide as the traditional retailers because I'm relying on that factory outlet business model.  I can get you just about anything but if I have to go out and buy it from another guy or even direct, you will find my prices start to climb to match the other retailers. 

So in short (too late) take pricing from others on a forum with a grain of salt.  Not that you shouldn't trust people it is just that there are too many variables in play to really get a definitive answer.  Stop by some time Chuck, I would be happy to show you around and tell you anything you want to know about the lumber industry.