Getting a sense of the pricing at my local hardwood dealer

Chuck Melton

I bought some hardwood today for my first non shop furniture project and I wanted to get an idea of how the pricing for my local hardwood dealer stacks up.

8/4 rock maple was 6.61/bf

8/4 purpleheart was 10.16

it doesn't seem outrageous but I also don't really know the market.

Yes, it is hard maple.

I guess I should consider regional fluctuations since I am in Baltimore, some of the exotic stuff is probably much cheaper as it is probably coming right off the boat here where as the maple is getting trucked in from up north.

Thanks for chiming in PG.

Yes, it is hard maple.

I guess I should consider regional fluctuations since I am in Baltimore, some of the exotic stuff is probably much cheaper as it is probably coming right off the boat here where as the maple is getting trucked in from up north.

Thanks for chiming in PG.

I am lucky in the sense that Maple is my favorite wood, by far. It is extremely cheap here in my area. I wish some of the exotics were cheaper, though. Guess I can't have it all!

If you're fortunate enough to have more then one hardwood dealer in your area (even if you have to drive an hour or so away), it's definitely worth shopping around.

I needed 12/4 cherry for a project last weekend; Woodworkers Source charges $15/board foot... another dealer here in my area charges $8/board foot saving me a boat load of money. Even if it's only a dollar difference; it adds up quickly when you start counting up the board feet.

Where I am, just north of Baltimore there are quite a few options. I went to the closest non-wholesale place which is about 10 minutes away. The next closest reputable looking place (ie has a website and seems like an actual business) is about 20 minutes away so I will definitely have to check them out as well.

There are a bunch of other dealers closer to DC (45ish minutes away. It's good to know that prices can vary so much locally.

There are a lot of factors that contribute to price fluctuations, not just regional.  Grade, drying processes, from whom and where the retailer buys, etc.  Shannon might chime in and explain why it varies so greatly.

Was that hard maple rough or S2S/S3S?  It seems a little high either way...my dealer has 8/4 HM S3S for 5/bf.  Out of rough right now but if I remember correctly it was around 4/bf when he had it.  Purpleheart is 8.50/bf.  8/4 zebrawood...26/bf. :blink:

Chuck,  here in the pacific northwest I just picked up some 4/4 maple for $3.99/bf.  Not sure on purple heart since i dont use it much but if memory serves me it was right around $10-11/bf  not sure on the thicker stock stuff either.  Thats all I can tell you, sorry.  Hope that helps.

Nyles

The Shannon Rogers who responded to your e-mail is the same Shannon Rogers of "The Renaissance Woodworker," the same Shannon Rogers who is one of the voices on WTO and the same one who is an administrator/mentor here.  I was going to post that if you live in the Baltimore area you should check his place out but I guess I'm too late. lol.  Here's hoping he does chime in on this conversation.

I haven't bought purple heart but the maple price doesn't seem too far out of line with what I've paid here.  I bought some S2S here (to save time on a project) for $7.50/bf.

My local Woodcraft had purpleheart by the pound, but it was cut up into 24" lengths, possibly one board foot each.  (If I remember right, it was about 4.50 a pound... but I got a bit of everything and lost the receipt.)  I got it more for a test of the purple aging... and some finish techniques that I can try now that the weather has broken.

Here's mine:

http://www.cwghardwoodoutlet.com/hardwoods.html

He's not cheap, but he does breaks in quantity, allows self selection, usually has very nice quantities, includes millling in the price, and culls the unwanted stuff pretty often.  And... he's CLOSE to me!   Remember that quality and included services count, and for furniture, I'm a stickler for trying to find boards from the same log.

He has a kick ass double sided, segmented cutterhead planer that instantly gives you two nice faces with zero tearout.  For many years, I bought wood rough.  His machine has saved me a bunch of time by having him mill it oversize in one pass.  This makes selection and layout way easier, and still leaves me room to face joint and plane or sand to thickness.  His machine works so well, when I built my last kitchen, I had him do everything s4s, leaving only final sanding and ripping to me.   Jointing and planing large amounts of stock gets really old in a hurry.  I have no problem paying more for his high quality service.

Has anyone actually found anything with Woodfinder that wasn't already well known in the area?   In 15 years, I found two small guys on it.  Both of them were so unreliable, they weren't worth dealing with.

I've found three places with it, actually. One, a small father-and-son place. A pain to get in touch with them, but their prices are good (though their wood is rough - I had a hell of a time getting 8/4 walnut that was remotely straight - but it ended up being beautifully figured) and they actually had black locust! Another was a bigger place, and one of the few I could find that sold 8/4 hickory. Another place that sold 5/4 jatoba (a flooring shop that would also sell wood retail). But yes, 90% of the results I could find through google or the phone book.

The maple seems high. 8/4 is about 3.75 in Atlanta. And it is trucked all the way down here.

Steve,

Where in Atl. do you get hard maple for $3.75? Peach State's latest price list is $6.50 and Atlanta Hardwoods is at $6.36

PM me if you don't want to noise your source around, I need some.

Thanks,

Bill

Just went to a local lumber yard Thursday, and while I didn't get exotics, I got exotic to me... 3/4 A/C Plywood.  Cost was $45-$46 a sheet (bought more than one).  And the 2x4s weren't cheap, either.  But, it was also 3 miles from the house... and the nearest BORG is 12....

• Like 1

I've been using wood finder in NJ for three years and i've found two serious wood guys who run their own 1 man operation. It's helped me create relationships with clients who want certain species of wood. The price is always right with these guys though.... I wish we had a legitimate hardwood dealer out here... Hopefully some day soon! Makes me miss living in Seattle with a rockler and woodcraft 20 mins apart. Not that they have the best prices but its readily accessible.. Closest hardwood place is three times the price of the 1 man shops....

http://woodfinder.com/listings/012048.php

Art goes away for the winter so his stock may be low this time of year. He does not accept credit card anymore and is by appointment only. Definitely not a retail environment... Everything is rough sawn and is milled from his property.

http://woodfinder.com/listings/014417.php

Travis is a true artisan wood guy. If you are looking for special wood, he will have something for you. By appointment only as well.

Chuck,

I am also north of Baltimore (Aberdeen, MD).  I've been going up to Groff and Groff in PA to get my lumber. It has been fine, but I guess I should probably try out some others. Can you let me know which ones you said were "about 10 minutes away" and "about 20 minutes away"? Did you have any luck with them?

Also, were you indeed too small of a fish for McIlvain?

How did ordering from HardwoodToGo work out? Did you then pick it up AT McIlvain (in White Marsh?)

Thanks in advance!

David