Odd vibration in saw blade.

Rick A McQuay

there is a ton of info on the internet about table saw vibration trouble shooting. try isolating the motor & arbor from the belts and turn them by hand. with the saw unplugged of course! listen carefully. another method is to take a piece of wood between your ear and the shaft. you want to listen for any resistance in the bearings. if you hear some funky noises then you should consider replacing the bearings. check out the arbor too. another step to take it to make sure your motor shaft and pulley are square and aligned correctly. 

Update on this... I cleaned and tuned the saw and it never happened again with any other blade but still happens with the full kerf rip blade. Freud tech support had the same opinion as knotscott, that the blade had lost tension. They will replace under warranty but I never got around to sending it in.

• 8 months later...

Long term update, possibly solved ...

The problem gradually came back and I started wondering if it could be the belt slipping. I had replaced the original belt with a link belt but made it the same size as the original. I started thinking that if the original had stretched with age and the replacement stretched a bit with use, that could explain why it went away then came back. After removing 2 links from the belt the problem hasn't happened since so keeping my fingers crossed but I may have fixed it.

• 5 years later...

McQ, I know it's been a while since your last post on this.....has it ever happened again?

I've got an old Unisaw that when using a Forrest blade and pushing wood through during a cut, I'll see the blade begin to vibrate and open the kerf momentarily. I've currently got my top off looking for a culprit and the only thing I keep seeing in forum searches seems to reference wither belt tension or improper belt type installed.