DIY domino

dwacker

Some of this type of thing comes from the idea that companies are over charging for 'something I could build myself.' Some of it is genuinely seeing

If you could build a tool that does the same thing. But a lot of it is driven by the fact that people don't value their own time. 'It only took me 4 years and $500 in materials to build this but I didn't pay $900 for it!

Sometimes that makes sense for me. I'll do some work to build instead of buy. We all do. But this is just insane.

I don't think Russia has a recycling program that pays out....

The point is well taken though. As woodworkers we can and often do end up building things simply because we can. Is that necessarily insane? I don't think so, but it does fall outside conventional thinking and logical reasoning. It's somewhere along the lines of mountain climbers who brave dangers, because, "its there".

Do woodworkers get high off of accomplishment? Probably. Are some of the things we build so customized that they are not available for sale? In some cases, yes. Do they serve us better than commercially made items? Maybe.

The practical person says that you need to factor the cost of your time in a project. This is true when the project is done to earn a living. I don't think it necessarily so when done for pleasure.

Woodworking is sometimes practical and sometimes art. Sometimes, its just farting around the shop letting the mind wander and expanding our work abilities with new techniques, gadgets, jigs and on occasion, shop built contrivances ;-)

I would never fault anyone for building fairly complex machines themselves or in this case, creating a complex modification. For many, that's just all part of the fun. But for me, I just don't like doing it. If it holds a spinning bit or blade, I much prefer plastics and metal for long-term durability and accuracy. But I can totally understand why someone would want to build something like this or even their own multi-router, considering how expensive they are.

Here is my version of the diy domino. I did a few mods as I couldn't find the slides he used so I used 3/8" steel rod  and bronze bushings. I also made mine out of phenolic. And the best part was I did it for less then $100! 

post-202-0-81798900-1367548091_thumb.jpgpost-202-0-39985400-1367548122_thumb.jpg

Here are a few pictures of some test mortises.

post-202-0-26068600-1367548172_thumb.jpgpost-202-0-35984900-1367548215_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-87833400-1367548229_thumb.jpgpost-202-0-20838800-1367548242_thumb.jpg

In the time it took him to engineer and build that thing, he could have collected and scrapped enough aluminum cans on the side of the road to pay for a Domino.  :blink:

I think they covered this on a recent WTO.

Have you collected and cashed in aluminum cans recently. I built mine in less time than it would take to gather enough cans to cash in to get a domino!

Honestly I built it just because I can. I don't know if it will ever get any use other than the test mortises I did with it. I have a horizontal slot mortiser I built along with a pantorouter that has seen plenty of use from the moment I finished building them. The domino is just a one trick show, mortises thats it. I can go from doing mortises with the horizontal slot mortiser straight to doing box joints with it and the pantorouter is only limited by your ability to make templates for anything from mortise and tenon to box joints to shutters and dovetails.

I like the way that looks. You've obviously built tools before. How many hours did that take? Did you work from his design?

I bought his plans and worked on it over the course of two weekends in between other projects. The only changes I made were to use 3/8" steel rod and bronze bushings for the slide mechanism and I used springs instead of a bungee cord to retract the router bit. 

I bought his plans and worked on it over the course of two weekends in between other projects. The only changes I made were to use 3/8" steel rod and bronze bushings for the slide mechanism and I used springs instead of a bungee cord to retract the router bit. 

That must be it! I was looking at yours and it felt less 'shop built' than the original and didn't think it was just due to the phenolic. I think losing the bungee cord makes it look more solid. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I still think I'd buy a Domino, but the video is cool as an engineering exercise!

One thing to remember when shop-building tools or appliances, is that a ton of time can be saved if appearances don't matter.  Shop-made stuff in magazines and video presentations often include many hours worth of finishing and prettying-up the item that has nothing to do with the functionality.