Dewalt DT7612 Quick Change - Drill & Drive Accessory System Review

TerryMcK

There are many different accessories similar to this one but I decided to buy this to check it out. Google it to find out how much it costs in your geographical location.

This accessory is offered by Dewalt to enable the user to drill  and counter sink holes and then tighten up screws without having to use a different drill or screwdriver attachment.

post-3084-0-88762600-1369400039_thumb.jp

I had about 400 pozidrive #2 head screws to put into a project I was building and didn't relish the task. Either I had to buy another drill or get a quick change head. I opted for the latter.

The device comprises:
  • A main drive holder with a hex drive shank that fits into the drill chuck. It has a socket which takes the drill/driver holder
  • A drill/driver holder
  • 3 drills giving tapping size for #1 to #3 pozidrive/philips drive
  • 3 countersink bits with clearance hole for the drills
  • 5 drivers (3 #2 pozidrive, 2 #2 philips drive)
  • 1 allen key/wrench
  • 1 blow molded box

post-3084-0-22746200-1369400044_thumb.jpContents

In use you put the main drive holder into the drill and secure.post-3084-0-88375600-1369400049_thumb.jpDrill/Driver holder and main drive body

Next you chose the tapping drill you wish to use and insert it into the drill/driver holder. The countersink is positioned at the depth you want to drill to and secured with 2 socket head grub screws.
Next lock off the two grub screws securing the drill into the body of the drill/driver holder.
All that remains is to insert the driver into the other end of the magnetised holder and secure with a single grub screw.

Then it is a simple matter of inserting the drill/driver holder into the main drive body. It locks into place with a spring loaded latch.

post-3084-0-39727200-1369400053_thumb.jpDrill the hole and countersink in the piece of wood and then push the locking collar forward. This releases the drill/driver holder. Take it out and invert it. Put it back into the drive body and you are ready to tighten up the screw.

post-3084-0-07029900-1369400057_thumb.jpAssembly with the drill in place

post-3084-0-20312800-1369400064_thumb.jpInserting the drill/driver in driver configuration

post-3084-0-66946900-1369400060_thumb.jpAssembly set ready to drive.

When I had finished drilling 400 holes and inserting the screws I was really impressed how quick it was to do it. The drill still had a keen edge and the driver didn't look as though it had been used. You soon develop a skill to hold the electric drill and remove the drill/driver using one hand.

Overall I can recommend this as a useful addition to the shop or for site working for the professional. This is a superb accessory for any drill.
  • Like 1

I don't have experience with this Dewalt item, but I have a very similar Makita product that I've used for the last 10 years and I can't imagine being without it.  Mine is starting to show its age and I looked for it in stores but apparently Makita doesn't make it any more.....I'll definitely look at the Dewalt as a replacement.  Thanks Terry.

• Like 1