Lathe Chisel Set Recomendation

tim0625

I've just about completed rebuilding my Delta 48" lathe that was in a shop fire.  I need a set of chisels.

There are a lot of names out there....big swing in the prices - $100 - $500....

A few questions:"

1-What is the big difference in the sets? Grade of steel? Length of handles? Not a lot of real difference?

2-I did a limited amount of turning 30 years ago, I remember the set having short handles -- What do you like? I currently have a 3 piece set of Woodcraft miniture chisels for turning pens.  I also want to turn some bowls. What set of chisels will work better for this?

3-Does the "Name" really mean much?  Pinnacle.....Sorby.....etc. I don't want to spend a lot of money just to have a name when something a hundred or two less will work fine. 

I need some education.

Thanks for the input

Tim

You will get a huge number of responses on this, but my vote would be to get a cheap set of chisels to start with for a few reasons:

1. Gives you a way to try a lot of different tools to see what you might like and then want to upgrade..

2. With turning tools, you sharpen a LOT and learning to sharpen well is key.  It's much easier on the nerves to make your early learning mistakes on 'cheap' tools, then once you're comfortable, get the tool you want (Mine is a 'real' Ellsworth 5/8" gouge, you mileage may vary..)

3. Once you get the 'nice' version of a tool, you can then set up your 'old' tools with grinds that you don't use as often.  To use the gouge example again, you might sharpen your 'old' one with a very steep bevel to get at the bottom of deep bowls for example..

Anyway, hope this gives you useful things to think about.. 

Cheers,

David

+1 on David post, I did what He is recommending from the recommendation of the Pres. of My woodturning club. The recommendation was to get the Harbor freight 8 piece set ($50 +/-) find out what tools I use the most, learn to sharpen and upgrade the tools I use the most. I upgraded to Sorby and now upgrading/adding "SB Tools" http://woodturning.org/ .

A set is just a generic set of tools that can be used with most turnings, But if You find Your turnings headed in one path you will need specialized tools, like for captive ring, hollow form, finials, etc.

Sounds like a good strategy....but.....HARBOR FREIGHT?????? Dang Doug..... sounds like I might spend all my time sharpening.

Wax on, Wax off grasshopper....learn the basics. Yeah, that's the basics but couldn't we go a little better or am I slamming the HF tools too much?

Just logged onto HF....$44.99 ---8 piece set.....hot dog.....are they ok to get started?

Id say the same got a set from grizzly(not awesome but id bet their weight in gold theyare 30x better than anything you would get at harbor freight) that have served me well and almost all of them still get use on a regular basis.

I have some sorby's, pinnacle's, crowns etc all the m2 hss seems to be pretty much same quality to me, the pinnacle cryo hss is decently better at holding an edge longer but not a ton. Crown pro pm tools however i find myself needing to sharpen wayyy less, i love them.

Handle length - my personal preference is for longer handles even in situations i dont need it, just have more control and i have decently long limbs so they are more comfortable to use for extended periods... However many times on my small lathe i have to swap out for a shorter handled to for certain cuts will put my handle into the bed ways.

But yeah iv said before that the buying your last tools first rule doesnt apply with turning tool, over time not only will you need to find your preferences they probably will change, along with the work you do. Its a constant evolution that cant be accomidated for by one set of one brand of tools.

Also id like to ad, after your first cheap set, id stay away from other sets, there will inevitably be tools you dont use out of it and in turn actually waste money instead of saving money like you thought you would. Buy the tools you need now, not to tools you think you might need later.