yard sale find - TYZACK 8 Inch Brass Back '120' saw in new condition

nod

Can anyone tell me what I found here? A guy in the neighborhood was clearing out some junk, some tools, etc.. I picked up a couple small planes to sharpen and try (I don't own any yet, and researched these aren't anything special), BUT, the saw is in brand new shape. It's still got a hang tag on it and plastic blade guard (all in a plasticy display bag).

I'll post some pics tomorrow, but wondering if anyone can tell me what i've got here? All I can find is some place in Australia that was selling a pretty worn used version. I can't really find any other info. From that one, it seems like it could be collectible, but is it? I'm just a wannabe woodworker here, and am working on collecting some moderate starter tools. thanks.

That's a nice little saw. Keep it where the blade won't rust, and the teeth don't hit anything but the wood you want to cut.  Does it have the closed handle, or the open handle?  Both are worth about the same.  It's not a really old saw, but a very capable one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TYZACK-8-Inch-Brass-Back-Dovetail-Saw-/400508067911?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d40242047

It's got a closed handle. and with it's the plastic blade cover, seems to be completely unused and ready to roll. Figure this tool might do better in some more seasoned hands. maybe I should sell it to pay for that Veritas 3 saw set. any takers?  ^_^

The saw is unused. There is a bit of wear on a rivet head or two from what I guess is removing and replacing the saw in it's sale bag. The handle is about the same. The "1812" card is a hang tag still attached to the handle.

post-14137-0-54544200-1372719325_thumb.j

post-14137-0-01066300-1372719334_thumb.j

post-14137-0-94813200-1372719339_thumb.j

Can you post a picture of the handle?  The handle will determine the value.  If it's mostly flat, it won't bring the highest price.  If the rounded parts don't have a transition of round to flat everywhere, then it's more valuable.  Nice looking back, and blade though.  I'd keep this one over the Veritas set too.

Can you post a picture of the handle?  The handle will determine the value.  If it's mostly flat, it won't bring the highest price.  If the rounded parts don't have a transition of round to flat everywhere, then it's more valuable.  Nice looking back, and blade though.  I'd keep this one over the Veritas set too.

thanks Tom. Not totally sure what you mean, but I think this falls in the flat category. yeah?

I snapped a quick pic of the handle, and one of the package just for kicks. 

post-14137-0-05929000-1372721322_thumb.j

post-14137-0-52022900-1372721327_thumb.j

I just looked at that eBay post again. I definitely see a difference between that handle and the one I have here. This does not look as intricate. If that keeps it out of the premium range, so be it. Perhaps I'll keep it and put it to use as I learn more. and pick up just one or two of those veritas saws to round out a set. 

Get the veritas if you want, they are good saws for sure. Me, I'd be keeping hold of this one.

I'm torn between passing it on to someone who would really appreciate it, and knowing I'll be kicking myself in a year from now for letting it go!

The first backsaw I ever bought was one that size, and about the same quality, new probably 35 years ago.  It shares a rack with 4 others in a toolbox.  The other four all have almost perfect antique handles and backs, with new blades sharpened for specific purposes.  It's the only 8 inch, and it still gets called on once in a while.  I'm glad I still have it, and never intended on getting a replacement for it.

• 6 years later...
10 hours ago, george mitchell said:

an 8 " tyzack saw myself bought used .the blade on mine is badly worn and i'll have to sharpen it .I paid about 15 bucks for it on ebay . If it's in good shape you may get 30 bucks for it . If you ever want to get rid of it let me know . George, Atlanta ,Ga.

This thread is over 6 years old & the OP hasn't been here since 2015, so it's unlikely you'll get a response.