ebay planes worth a look

Tom King

These are all planes I use, and if I didn't already have them, I'd be bidding on these.   Irons should be pit free, and no need for an "upgrade".  These are at least as good as Stanley planes, although it seems more people "collect" the Stanley planes, so these might go for a reasonable price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Record-Wood-Plane-Set-Made-In-England-6-Planes-/330950358240?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d0e2db4e0

• Like 1

I've seen some on your side that I've been tempted to bid on, but the 50 bucks shipping always kills the urge. These are over here.  I don't know why anyone prefers thick, expensive irons over the Record irons.  I can tune one of these to take a .0003 " shaving without much trouble.

Almost all my molding planes have come from the UK.  They seem to take better care of them over there for a couple of centuries than here.

By the way, I'm a direct descendent of British Royalty for as long as the country has been there, until some of my ancestors came to Jamestown.  I just found this out recently thanks to ancestry.com.

Tom, just because your name is "King" does not make you one  :P. That's really cool though. The BBC ran a series over a number of years called "Who Do Yo Think You Are". One of our top Olympians gets to see the

I think)

I think the debate on thick irons is just like sharpening. FWIW I have not needed one yet. Like most things I like the work to force my hand. Perhaps if I worked with exotics or wild grain I might have to upgrade.

Moulding planes are something I do want to get to grips with. The only thing I have done close to using them is making some t&g with a Record 405 (not close at all really)

The guy that I bought most of my molding planes from said he picked up most of them at "car boot" sales. I don't know exactly what that entails, but thought it might be useful information for you. There are several sellers on ebay from the UK that do a pretty big business in them.  If the iron is not pitted, they are easy to get going.  I got a whole set of Hollows and Rounds for less than 20 dollars a piece, including shipping from there. He must have gotten them for almost nothing, and every one of them is useable.  It only costs about 5 dollars to get a molding plane shipped, whereas an iron plane is close to 50.

Royalty has always come from royalty and almost always married royal descendents (I'm probably 15% right through Charlemagne by the looks of it), back to several hundred years B.C.  My ancestry was easy to trace because of the direction my 5th Great Grandfather left Jamestown.  All his brothers went North, and all the courthouses with their records were burned during the Revolutionary War, but he went South and the courthouse records weren't touched.  It was easy to trace my lines back, since they were all royalty prior to coming over here.  There is a database called the Millenium File that contains a couple of hundred thousand people, almost all were either royalty or famous military. I was paying ancestry.com 35 bucks a month, and when I realized there was no end to it after 6,000 plus ancestors, I printed out the Y-chromosome line, and canceled.  The first King took that name in 1326 when "kings" controlled less than a whole country. There was no way to print a pedigree seventy some generations long. it was pretty cool to learn, but I'm still breathing sawdust, and pounding nails for a living.

• Like 1

Thanks Tom,

Moulding planes are indeed still good value here.

That's a really interesting family tree, incredible to know that far back who your family are. I did some research on mine through census records, all quite humble stuff, miller's, tradesman, farmers, domestic servants and the like, interesting nevertheless.