Shop fox lathes?

Sammw1990

I am a broke college student who would love to have a small lathe while in school. Back home, at my parents house I have a 60 year old Delta/Rockwell full size lathe. It still works great. But, being in college and living in rent houses I don't want to drag the large delta around. And my dad uses it from time to Time. Therefore, I am interested in a smaller lathe with which I could turn bowls and such. Money is tight. Has anyone had experience with shop fox lathes? Any suggestion are appreciated. Also I would buy used if I could find the right deal. Thanks Sam

one problem is they tend to not stay  lined up and sometimes the motors will not always kick over when you turn it on.  if you want to turn then buy your last tool first save up for it if you really like turning you wont regret it.  maybe get a midi like delta. little pricer but from what I have heard fox is a quality tool

As to the Delta, I have one as well, but right now, I cannot in good conscience recommend it.  The machine itself is great, and I will continue to use it.  However, lately I have been hearing more and more of Delta having serious problems as a business.  Until the company itself stabilizes I can't recommend them.  For example, getting parts or tool accessories is nearly impossible.  I can't find the bed extension for it right now.

However, I did see Jet has come out with a new midi lathe, 1221VS.  I looked this machine over at Woodcraft, and found it to be a very even match to the Delta.

Thanks, yes in a perfect world, I would save money for a Jett. I've look on Craigslist, there is nothing in my area that is also in my budget. I have also look at Rikon mini lathes at Woodcrafters. I assume that if they carry Rikon lathes, that they must be worthy/dependable? It sucks, because I have really gotten into turning but my parents house is two hours away and I rarely have time to spend there. It is frustrating not being able to come home and work on a project.

Ok, not sure how that happened but nothing showed up.

All I said was that I was addressing the low cost of the HF lathe. I was not in any way saying it was high quality. I guess I am very lucky as I do own one and it stays lined up head/tail stock with no problems. China motors, I think they rate them at twice what they really put out but that is just a guess on the way they perform.

A low cost lathe, while still moving from place to place has the advantage of not making you cry if it is damaged in transportation.

For small items such as pens and small bowls, it should work OK, in no way is it the same quality of, say, a One Way, but then it does not cost as much either. When buying tools for a perm shop, by all means save to buy quality, this was just a low cost idea on how to put some chips on the floor for a starving student YMMV!

• 3 weeks later...

When i found my current 60 yr old powermatic i was searching up to almost 200 miles away... For the right lathe the travel would be worth it. Iv never bought a motorcycle from any closer than 100 miles away (have had 4 dirt bikes and a street bike).

So if you think traveling is worth it expand your searches and find a buddy with a high mpg car haha.

Personally i have to suggest saving up (sorry) my little lathe from pen state is crap and ill bet its better than harbor freight. The tailstock doesnt line up with the headstock, motor overheats all the time, even after cleaning i all out and not making it work too hard. When working with a chuck or faceplate its ok.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've had my 10x18 HF lathe for about a year now & it's easily the best tool I've bought from them.  I've found it to be well worth the inexpensive price tag until a larger unit is in the budget.  My biggest complaints don't really hold water since I would consider them "bells & whistles" which would increase the price tag (things like variable speed).  I did have a problem with it not turning on once but when I tore the power switch apart I found it was not sealed very well on the back & had gotten clogged with sawdust.  After cleaning it out & sealing it up better I've had no problems what so ever.  If you've got the budget, by all means look at a Delta or a Jet, but if money's tight I've found this to be an excellent tool (by HF standards).  Just my $0.02.