Bending walnut

Derekkest

I recently finished a display case for a buddy. I need to add the top and that is where I am stuck. I need to bend 1/8" Walnut to fit an 8" radius...The piece is about 12" long and 5" wide.

Looking around on here I guess walnut is kind of brittle and not the best thing to bend. Without a steamer, what options are there? Googleing on the web I came across a lot of people who boil the wood then clamp it around the form. This pretty much my best bet or are their other ways?

I would do the boil and bend method. At an 1/8" I would leave it in the boiling bath for 45 minutes. Take it easy and support the outside of the bend as you go around the form. Make sure you have a nice straight grain piece with no or very little runout. Having a good piece of stock get you halfway there for a good bend.

You should have a pretty good chance at succeeding. 8 in. is pretty big. Check out this website on Shaker box building LINK it is something like what you are doing and the wood is about the same thickness. Find the part of the article that talks about what side of the wood goes in or out by reading the grain after it has been soaked.

Soak the wood thoroughly and then throw it in the microwave to heat it up until steaming.

You could make a sheet metal backer form with wooden stops that your blank fits into as it is being formed . This helps distribute the pressure evenly and helps with stresses and cracking.

And I have seen a gizmo made from a piece of 1 1/2-2 in. steel pipe and a torch. The torch heats the inside of the pipe and your wet blank is worked over the outside forming the blank to the desired radius.

Good luck

Dave

I have seen the pipe and torch method mentioned in the above post. But at school last year I saw someone use a plastic bin and a kettle for the steam the results appeared good though the teacher was destressed that the kettle might brake and he wouldn't be able to have a tea!!!!!!!! :lol:

Maybe just because I've done so much of it, but I really prefer the steam bending method. You can boil and bend but water boils at 212 degrees, no matter what. Steam on the other hand can be superheated by putting it under pressure. The additional pressure also allows better penetration into the wood fibers.

In the old boats I have restored, where I have had to replace ribs in the hull I usually use straight grained oak. I have bent 1/2' oak into 6' radius on more than one occasion to fit in the chines of some small hulls. By steaming under pressure (remember Grandma's pressure cooker? Same idea.) I have had 1/2" oak come out about the consistancy of al-dente pasta after about an hour.

My set up is pretty simple. I bought a 5 gal gas can that I use for a boiler. It's never had anything but water in it. DO NOT USE and old gas can. That sits on a Camp Chef single burner propane cooker. I use an insulated hose to direct the steam into a 8' long 6" dia PVC pipe. One end is permantly closed, the other has the screw on type fitting to close it off. I went to the thrift store and bought an old pressure cooker and removed the valve hardware from the top of the lid and installed that in the top of the PVC pipe. I can regulate the internal pressure with that, you really only need a pound or two to push the temps close to 300 degrees.

ALWAYS handle the wood with gloves and tongs. I set up my bending jigs well ahead of time and have a ton of clamps around.

In any case, whatever method you choose, you should not have any issues bending 1/8" stock. Just keep the grain straight and be patient.

Good luck.

DF

Maybe just because I've done so much of it, but I really prefer the steam bending method. You can boil and bend but water boils at 212 degrees, no matter what. Steam on the other hand can be superheated by putting it under pressure. The additional pressure also allows better penetration into the wood fibers.

In the old boats I have restored, where I have had to replace ribs in the hull I usually use straight grained oak. I have bent 1/2' oak into 6' radius on more than one occasion to fit in the chines of some small hulls. By steaming under pressure (remember Grandma's pressure cooker? Same idea.) I have had 1/2" oak come out about the consistancy of al-dente pasta after about an hour.

My set up is pretty simple. I bought a 5 gal gas can that I use for a boiler. It's never had anything but water in it. DO NOT USE and old gas can. That sits on a Camp Chef single burner propane cooker. I use an insulated hose to direct the steam into a 8' long 6" dia PVC pipe. One end is permantly closed, the other has the screw on type fitting to close it off. I went to the thrift store and bought an old pressure cooker and removed the valve hardware from the top of the lid and installed that in the top of the PVC pipe. I can regulate the internal pressure with that, you really only need a pound or two to push the temps close to 300 degrees.

ALWAYS handle the wood with gloves and tongs. I set up my bending jigs well ahead of time and have a ton of clamps around.

In any case, whatever method you choose, you should not have any issues bending 1/8" stock. Just keep the grain straight and be patient.

Good luck.

DF

Dave, thanks for the instructions!!! I plan on building a steam unit soon. Very good info!