Joe S

jstubler

Hi all, thought I'd add my wood bio to the list. I'm a computer dork by day so to keep from being sucked into the void I need to log off every now and again with hands on projects, I always got some low tech project going.. I'm pretty new to woodworking. I've always kind of just put pieces of wood together, drove nails in, and hoped it all stayed together. I have NO idea what I'm doing....

My woodworking career (pics attached):

Too many books! So I built a bookshelf. My mom game me some basic instruction and I went to work in her workshop.

Last Christmas my dad bought me a set of Isle of Lewis chess men, I needed a chess board to go with them so I made one. I'm totally sure I could have done it in a easier way but I'm happy with the result, pic attached. Basically I cut out 64 squares of wood and carved them with a dremel and small chisel.

Another hobby is brewing wine. I have a few 5 gallons brewing right now. I've been running out of places to put the wine once bottled so I figured I should build a wine rack. It was a real inexpensive project, just dowels and cheap pine.

My new project is a wooden clock. This is my first scroll saw project and it will probably drive me crazy in the process but heck...

Future project: I watched Marc's video tutorial on inlay the other night and was mesmerized. I cant wait to get my hands on some material and give a go at it. I have to say, after watching Marc's video I watched another one on finewoodworking.com and Marc's technique seemed way better and easier to follow.

post-411-088870500 1281333121_thumb.jpg

post-411-035393700 1281333593_thumb.jpg

post-411-028007400 1281333657_thumb.jpg

Very nice chess board; you have waaaaay more patience than me! Did you draw the pattern on each and use a grinding stone to make the pattern embossed? Definitely a nice job.

As for the wine rack... I dunno... send me a bottle and I'll let you know if it lets them age properly :)

Welcome!