went_postal

How often do you clean your shop  

28 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you clean your shop?

• All through the project
    • End of the day
    • never
    • other

Having a small shop I find it especially important to clean up after each step of a project. I clean not only because my OCD (obsessive clutter disorder) will explode off the charts, but it helps me keep track of tools and forces me to put them back in their place. It also helps keep the shop safer and the dust at a minimum. I have less of a chance hurting myself or the project I am working on...ex) a gash on the leg and dust in the finish. On the other hand....is a dirty shop considered to be a genius at work?

On the weekends when i do most of the messy work I tend to clean up at the end of the day. It just helps me get started the next day. During the week I'm in the shop a lot smoking a cigar, watching a hockey game, etc. I'm always cleaning up or putting stuff away then.

Clean as I go. What I'm notorious at, though, is putting something away at the first thought that I might be done with it. Invariably, I need it again. No big deal for, say, a wrench, but usually it's a router bit I now have to re-calibrate like before. Yeah, it's stupid I know.

I have that same problem... I get so excited to get started that I don't think all my cuts or movements out ahead of time... stuff that should all be cut the same length with the same setup... doesn't happen because I invariably forget one piece or something.

Very annoying. =)

Dust: I have a shopvac within reach of every station. Cut, vacuum, cut, vacuum... This habit is partly because I also work with metal and the last thing I need are those sharp metal shavings getting into my shoes and other places.

Tools: Get put away whenever I'm bored or want to take a break, or when the pile has gotten too high on the bench to work around anymore :P

I find that I get tired of slipping on the sawdust covered concrete so I end up cleaning up all during the time of my activities in my "shop." What about you guys? Clean up all along the project or just at the end of the day? Or never? =)

I try to clean as I go, and sometimes I succeed, other times when I really get into what I am doing I clean at the end of the day and some days I am just to tired and clean the next morning, I kind of like cleaning in the morning, putting stuff away or in it's place, thinking about what you did the day before, what needs to be done today. Sweeping and cleaning up are like Carpenter calisthenics.

Dave