Polyurethane glue

dryhter

I don't use polyurethane glue (Gorilla Glue) all that often, but sometimes it is the right glue for the task at hand. I will only buy a small bottle of the stuff because it is expensive and goes bad quickly. I know that it cures with water, or humidity, and I have found that if you warm it up a bit it flows a lot easier. But what gets my shorts in a bunch is that I use it one time and then when I need it again it has gotten hard ( cured ) but not the foaming cure just skins over hard, even along the inside of the plastic container, there is still usable glue inside the hard shell if you want to dig it out. And just an aside always squeeze the bottles when in the store. if you here a crackle put it back and try another, the same goes for the spray foam ( Great Stuff ) if you don't hear it shaken or can't feel it moving it has gone bad.

So I am asking has anyone found a way to store this stuff without losing it . I figure it must be the oxygen and maybe the humidity that makes it go hard. I am going to try and store the bottle of glue inside a canning jar that is filled with some propane gas from a torch and see if that works. I have used this for long term storage of oil-based paints and it works great. Maybe put some mineral sprites inside the jar that might change the composition of the atmosphere enough to make the glue stable.

But I don't know?????

Any chemists, scientist, urethaneologists or woodworkers of experience that could help me out with this conundrum.

Dave

I am going to try and store the bottle of glue inside a canning jar that is filled with some propane gas from a torch and see if that works. I have used this for long term storage of oil-based paints and it works great.

Hehe. So do you use a match to see inside those cans when you open them up? :lol:

there are, of course, other oxygen-displacing sprays on the market that might be safer/work better. This one is from Rockler, but says it's not for use on latex or lacquer. I was assuming it was using an inert gas. I've seen other versions that I'm guessing use other gasses that don't seem to have that warning.

I knew a guy that stored it in his fridge and it seemed to last for a few months, by I have never used the stuff, so it's second-hand knowledge on my part. Have you tried that?

Hehe. So do you use a match to see inside those cans when you open them up? :lol:

there are, of course, other oxygen-displacing sprays on the market that might be safer/work better. This one is from Rockler, but says it's not for use on latex or lacquer. I was assuming it was using an inert gas. I've seen other versions that I'm guessing use other gasses that don't seem to have that warning.

I knew a guy that stored it in his fridge and it seemed to last for a few months, by I have never used the stuff, so it's second-hand knowledge on my part. Have you tried that?

I'll put that on the to try list . THANKS.

Dave

• I got that skinning over problem on my recent mostly-neglected bottle. My plan was to store the next bottle upside down. At least that way, the skinning or hardening will happen at the "bottom" of the bottle and will actually make squeezing out glue easier as it will be pushed to the top all the time. Dunno if it will work, but that's my plan.

• I got that skinning over problem on my recent mostly-neglected bottle. My plan was to store the next bottle upside down. At least that way, the skinning or hardening will happen at the "bottom" of the bottle and will actually make squeezing out glue easier as it will be pushed to the top all the time. Dunno if it will work, but that's my plan.

I don't know, Paul. Sounds kinda logical. ;)

I needed to keep some finish from going bad so I bought one of those "oxygen replacers". The can was so light weight it actually had a big sticker that said "THIS CAN IS NOT EMPTY". Anyway, the gas is argon, inert, so it might help. I like the idea of upside down storage. BTW, how do we know that the stuff isn't crapping out right on the store shelf. Maybe it's like milk - whether you open it or not it will go bad eventually.