Decent starter hand saws

Chuck Melton

I ended up buying a set Veritas carcass saws. Based on advice and a little research the carcass saws seemed like the best starting point.

I spent some time last weekend making some cuts with an el cheapo gents saw that I have and found that a little practice went a longway (ie. I could actually make a cut square to the edge of the board and relatively straight). It's in no danger of replacing the table saw or miter saw yet, but it was certainly more gratifying to use.

UPS finally delivered my package from Lee Valley today and I took a little time over lunch to play with my new toys.

I don't think I have ever used a real hand saw before today. Making crosscuts was an absolute pleasure. I am definitely going to need some practice to cut things that are a bit closer to being truly square. After making 4 or 5 cuts, I am already glad I didn't try to buy something cheaper. The rip saw is going to take a little more learning for me. It's possible I've never actually used a rip handsaw before, I had some trouble getting it started and it tended to bind in the kerf a bit but it definitely ripped through wood pretty fast and the cuts were straight. I tried cutting some quick dovetails with the rip saw and they were dreadful. Again, that's probably more a reflection of me than the saw.

• Like 1

With a rip saw, you have to back up across the off corner until you have a long enough surface for 2 or 3 teeth to fit flat on.  Without a surface in the bottom of the kerf that long, teeth will catch on the corner.  It's really a snap once you get the feel for starting it, and takes maybe 2 or 3 seconds.  After that, it should eat a board up along a rip.