Veritas jointer fence

rodger.

A few months ago I did a review on the veritas jointer plane, and I promised that I would follow up with a review of the accompanying, optional, jointer fence.

I have owned this plane for a few months now, and have completed a few projects with it.

The fit and finish of the fence are, not surprising, excellent. The fence comes with knurled brass knobs which are threaded to fit into the body of the plane. There is a set screw to square the fence to the plane body. This operation can be a bit finicky, but once you get it set, it's holds it setting pretty well and only needs a minor tweak once and a while to keep it square.

The fence also has two threaded slot to store the knobs when not in use so they don't get lost - clever.

In use, it takes a bit of practise to keep the fence flush to the face, and the plane blade flat on top of the edge. After a few test boards, the learning curve is fairly quickly overcome. It is important to note that the blade should be adjusted BEFORE attempting to edge joint. If the blade is not properly set, it can taper your edge as the shaving will not be a consistent thickness.

I consistently check the edge for square as I work, and adjustments are made easily.

Overall, this fence is a great addition to the plane.

Here is a pic of a poplar board I flattened one face and jointed one edge of using the jointer plane.

post-6372-0-76157200-1379985543_thumb.jp

I was thinking of getting one so this is timely as I'm always tilting my plane and i just cant feel when its plumb. I struggle greatly with milling by hand so i need all the help i can get.

I also have a hard time with this, so I find the fence very helpful. Though I am getting better using my knuckle as a guide.