Woodtek 1/2hp Hollow Chisel Mortiser

Tom King

I just got one of these because I needed another small mortiser to cut a few hundred 1/4" x 3/4 x 5/16 deep mortises and have another mortiser set up dedicated to cutting larger mortises.

It will work fine for this purpose, and pay for itself with this one job at something like $230 shipped.

There are several other brand names on this same machine, so look closely before you buy one of the ones like this.  I wouldn't recommend anyone buy this machine as your first or only mortiser.  It holds the chisel and bit just fine, and cuts a precisely positioned and pretty little mortise, but the adjustments leave a lot to be desired if you need to change the mortise position in your parts very often.  The fence is pretty micky mouse, but I'm not using that anyway.  You need to use allen wrenches to adjust anything, including the depth stop.

It does run smooth, and cuts a clean hole once you have it set up

We have a special fence and bed for this setup, so we won't be changing it at all for this use.