Woodworking Website SEO

I'd like to take a quick survey. I have already asked this question to my facebook contacts and I am interested in seeing if the answers are the same or not. Here goes...

If you were to do a google search for a custom woodworker to build a special project for you what would you search for?

While you may get some answers here, I think you are asking the wrong group this question. Woodworkers will not be searching for someone to build them furniture so you need to find a way to contact the right demographic and poll them. In my experience, custom furniture is a highly competitive term and often needs to be made more long tail to include some geo targeting as well. If you are seeking this keyword research for your own site, then I suggest you take a look at how you want to brand yourself and your work. The more specific you can get with the keyword list as it relates to your work the better because won't this be the type of content you will be putting on your site? For instance, if you build mostly tables in the Arts & Crafts style then you want keywords centered around that style. Going further to say "stickley arts and crafts table" would be even better. The people who spend big bucks on furniture know a surprising amount of style terminology and the more vague you go, ie: custom tables, the more unqualified leads you will see. Plus you will be competing with the likes of Thomas Moser and even (gasp) the Ikea and Pottery Barn folks. I know they don't build custom but they know there is a market to be tapped and undersold to so they are optimizing for these terms. If you don't have a specific style you build then focus on your own sales pitch to potential customers. How do you illustrate the value of your furniture? Is it solid wood construction? Reclaimed lumber? Hand cut joinery? etc. These can translate into keywords.

Sorry to SEO lecture, but your keywords for your own site need to be really well thought out and limited as much as possible. I suggest starting with 5 keyword phrases (4 or less words) to define your site and build content that highlights those terms. Dedicating a page per term is not a bad idea either.

Thanks Renaissance,

Great input. I come from a design and marketing background so I wanted to poll the woodworking community for thoughts and insight in addition to asking my contact list, facebook friends and linked-in contacts for their input. Overall I've found that the online woodworking community is very supportive and many, like yourself, have put some good thought into SEO. I appreciate the time that you and others have taken to reply.

I guess in hindsight I could have asked: "What do we as woodworkers think people search for online when it comes to our custom woodworking services."