Finally finished mine...

tdenap

Finally finished this... I made it for my daughters upcoming wedding (in addition to the seemingly gazzillion dollars being spent!) 

As you can see, I went with 9 fingers on the case and some other variations from the plan, no handles and I skipped a couple of plugs on the breadboards.   I'm happy with the way it came out.  I did GF, 2-1, orange to medium brown and GF Arm-R-Seal.  I'm not 100% thrilled with the finish and was looking for that butter soft feel to the top, but there are some nibs I can't seem to avoid.  This is technique, I think, as the finish itself is pretty easy to work with.   If I put a thin, ie dries before too much debris falls into it, coat on it can streak.   I may attempt to rub it out and wax it but am loath to potentially ruin what there now. 

For now, its done...  unless I do straps!  hahaha

-Tom

Marc, thanks for making this approachable.  I've been woodworking for a few years but never gotten into anything this ambitious as far as joinery goes.  The follow along of the videos and ability to rewatch and review were a huge help.

post-14477-0-32005100-1382803511_thumb.j

post-14477-0-26158100-1382803512_thumb.j

post-14477-0-86793200-1382803512_thumb.j

post-14477-0-47722500-1382803513_thumb.j

• Like 1

I don't think anything fits as well for a wedding present than an heirloom from a dad. My father was an ornamental iron worker and he made us a bed when we got married 16 years ago. It's something that fills the room with soul and every time I look at it I imagine all the thought and effort that went in to every curve, cut, and weld. I'm sure that your daughter will feel the same about you and this beautiful gift.

Well done, sir!

Allen 

Carl and Playas, you guys were an instrumental in my decision to go with the 9 fingers and I've watched your progress with interest.  Great exchange of info and encouragement here!  thanks

Cool :) y second coat of lacquer is currently getting dry on mine, the only thing left I didnt do yet are the straps, maybe I will just do them later.