Question for those experienced with Spanish Cedar

CessnaPilotBarry

I'm a total noob to Spanish Cedar...

After hearing about it for the TWW Humidor project, I picked up a single board of Spanish Cedar, with the plans to use it as 1/8" thick liner / divider stock inside a tea box.  I bought it because I really liked the way it looked, thinking of it being inside a curly cherry box with a quilted maple top, and I'd heard it smells a lot less than aromatic cedar.

Am I going to mess up the tea taste?  Should I go back to my usual liner of pine or basswood? :huh:

I have built some huge humidors for a cigar bar. The shop smelled great during that project! I have no idea what the affect on taste might be, but even my clothes smelled kinda rich and spicy. Troy is right a couple of coats to seal it up and the smell is gone. It looks and finishes like mahogany, only a bit softer.

So you can try it both ways, if the tea tastes funny just seal the liner with a couple of coats of shellac.

Thanks, guys...   I'll cut some test sheets and secretly put them in a sealed container with the tea.  I'll see if she notices a taste.  :ph34r:

This is for her, a surprise...

On the other hand, I don't normally glue my box liners in, they wedge into the corners after hand shooting to friction fit.  The worst case scenario only involves replacing the liner and divider.

Nope no problems.  I have built a similar tea box for my mother-in-law several years ago and no problems.  As mentioned above Spanish Cedar doesn't impart any taste to cigars and generally when you light and smoke something any absorbed oils will come right out.  No worries.  It is a great wood, I really enjoy using it.