Installing SketchUp 8.0 on Ubuntu/Wine

jhl.verona

Thanks to J.P. I bit the bullet, and installed SketchUp 8.0 on Ubuntu (9.10 Karmic Koala) with Wine 1.1.31 Here's a quick summary of the steps needed:

1. Install Wine. if you don't have it installed go for the latest stable version. Ubuntu offered Wine and Wine1.2, so I went with the first, but then had to upgrade to the second:

sudo apt-get install wine1.2

2. Check the version installed: Applications -> Wine -> Configure Wine then the About tab: gives me 1.1.31 (no I don't know why it's 1.1.x when I asked for the wine1.2 package)

3. Download SketchUp.exe for Windows

4. Let Wine install the Windows binary you just downloaded.

5. Check the Wine page for SketchUp - there are a few issues...

6. I got the crash after startup bug, but switching off the wireless and then disabling the "Show at startup" checkbox cured that. Which then brought me to...

7. The OpenGL bug (14045). Go to Applications -> Wine -> Browse C:\ Drive, then open the windows folder, and use Wine to start regedit.exe, then follow the Wine page instructions.

That gets SketchUp running, I have some problems with the editing page which fragments at start up, but minimising the window then maximising again seems to cure that.

Now all I need to do is learn to use the thing. Videos at 11.00.

• 4 weeks later...

Got it to work on Ubuntu 10.10 with the same procedure. It's nice to see that I'm not the only computer geek who does woodworking !

I think you'd be surprised if there was ever a poll (post one!) asking who is in IT for their day job. This place has almost more pocket protectors than marking gauges!

• 4 weeks later...

I think you'd be surprised if there was ever a poll (post one!) asking who is in IT for their day job. This place has almost more pocket protectors than marking gauges!

HA!

I'm no longer in IT. I'm herding cats again (engineering).

I've been trying to get wine+sketchup since 7.04. I never found stability. There were no end of artifacts and bizarre crashes. Granted I was not using true blue windows dlls. I gave up and now just run it inside VMWare Workstation. I need to run Workstation for work, so it's not a major hassle. For those running wine, are you running with M$ packages?