Nothing for sale: Just a Thank You

wintersedge

You know, I was thinking just this morning...most of us woodworkers do this stuff purely for fun.  That is to say, we don't put food on the table with our tools and skills.  We may make gifts and do favors for people, and they benefit directly from our work.  But let's face it...if we didn't enjoy it, we wouldn't be doing it.  I just got done ordering some high-end, hand-crafted tools with outrageous price tags...far from a necessity in my life...pure luxury.  Meanwhile, millions of kids are cold and hungry this morning.  The last thing on their mind is a toy...they want breakfast.  Knowing this and hearing about what you did for your foster kids this Christmas makes me feel like one of the most spoiled-ass rotten people on the planet.  You've inspired me to do more for charity next year.  I think I'll make it a resolution.

Good on ya, wintersedge, for being a decent human being and doing so much for the underprivileged children we so often forget about.  You made a huge difference in the lives of a few sweet, innocent little kids.  And what's more enjoyable than that?  Thanks for making me stop and think.  I need to be reminded every once in a while.

• Like 2

This is certainly not meant to guilt anyone. :) 

I posted the story more of a thanks. The people on this board has shown so much generosity. I have sure I have already saved several hundred dollars in not buying products that would not suite what I wanted to accomplish. Or buying a product that I would not truly enjoy. 

In addition I have learned so much from reading other peoples questions and the answers that are given.

What is truly unique is how intertwined woodworking and fostering has been for me. I dove deeper in woodworking to find an outlet to teach children self confidence and also to reinforce lessons learned in math. My wife and I also intend to use this as a mission to build furniture and cabinets for families that dedicate their lives to fostering. I look at it as serving those that serve others. 

Cheers

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 47 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online
  • Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    walo47
    Newest Member
    walo47