Cutting Half Circles

amateurexpert

I am new to woodworking and new to the forum. Recently purchased my first home and am starting to do some projects in my garage. On my latest project I ran into an issue that I am wanting to get some advice on. I am needing to cut 25 half moon shaped arcs out of 2 x 8 lumber. The half moons will be 20" long so the actual curved cut it about 30" long. I have a scroll saw that I have attempted to use, but the scroll saw is too underpowered to make that long of a cut on 2 x 8 material and do it 25 times.

I have done some reading online and have come to the conclusion that a bench top bandsaw might be the best way to go. Does this seem accurate? If so are there any suggestions on a good beginner saw?

Thanks.

Will

I have a small 2 amp jigsaw, but it does not go through material that thick very well. I have thought about using my router but I was worried that I might go through a lot of bits cutting that much material.

Put a good sharp blade on the jig saw (maybe a couple) and give it a go - slow and steady.  If you want to clean them up, create a template out of some thin material and use a flush trim bit in your router.  Just be sure to remove 99% of the material with the jig saw.

• Like 1

I'd rather get a good quality jig saw than spend money on a bench top bandsaw.

He has a jig saw - Inexpensive first attempt to put in a sharp blade.

If that don't work, then I agree!  A good jig saw is something every home owner should have!

Congrats on the new home by the way!