Need a Shaker Knob Turned

CubsFan

Wasn't sure where to post this, so please move it to marketplace if that's a more appropriate place.

I don't have a lathe, but I'm needing a shaker knob to finish the table I made for the Guild Build. Unfortunately, since my table is made out of beetle kill pine I can't just buy a knob off the shelf. What I'm hoping is that someone can help me out and turn a knob for me. I'd send you the wood and pay for return shipping, and I'd be happy to pay you something for your time as well.

If you're interested let me know.

Thanks!

Wasn't sure where to post this, so please move it to marketplace if that's a more appropriate place.

I don't have a lathe, but I'm needing a shaker knob to finish the table I made for the Guild Build. Unfortunately, since my table is made out of beetle kill pine I can't just buy a knob off the shelf. What I'm hoping is that someone can help me out and turn a knob for me. I'd send you the wood and pay for return shipping, and I'd be happy to pay you something for your time as well.

Thanks!

Since your name is CubsFan I am going to go out on a limb and say you are in the Chicago Land area. If that is the case... there are still several Chicago Park District sites that have operating wood shops. They are typically open format and you can go in and use the equipment for whatever project you are working on.

I know there are still a couple operating on the South Side... not so sure about the NorthSide..

Since your name is CubsFan I am going to go out on a limb and say you are in the Chicago Land area. If that is the case... there are still several Chicago Park District sites that have operating wood shops. They are typically open format and you can go in and use the equipment for whatever project you are working on.

I know there are still a couple operating on the South Side... not so sure about the NorthSide..

I actually live in Colorado. Raised on WGN so I ended up a Cubs fan :) There is one shop here that's kind of the same idea, but it's pretty minimal and doesn't include a lathe.

Thanks though!

I actually live in Colorado. Raised on WGN so I ended up a Cubs fan :) There is one shop here that's kind of the same idea, but it's pretty minimal and doesn't include a lathe.

Thanks though!

Bummer. =(

Not sure what part of CO you are in... but the UoC@Boulder has a woodshop... just not sure if they allow outsiders in.

NCSU has a decent woodshop and you can sign up and pay for the privilege of accessing their tools. I have thought about doing it once or twice just to get access to the giant drum sanders they have.

If you are near Colorad Springs, try Fort Carson for their wood hobby shop. Or The Air Force academy, they had a really nice shop when I was in school there. Other than that, check local trade and technical schools, or look on the internet for woodworking clubs in your area, if you are not already a member of one.

Thanks!

I can do it for you if you're still in need. PM me if so and I'll shoot you my address.

If you are near Colorad Springs, try Fort Carson for their wood hobby shop. Or The Air Force academy, they had a really nice shop when I was in school there. Other than that, check local trade and technical schools, or look on the internet for woodworking clubs in your area, if you are not already a member of one.

I was just catching up on my forum reading, and I was thrilled to read your mention of the USAF Academy woodshop. When I was stationed there in the 70's at the hospital, I spent a good deal of time there and in the auto shop. IIRC it was 50 cents an hour, or $2 a day to work in the woodshop. Before you mention how great a price it was, I made less than $500 a month, of course, I also got food and living expenses paid. I worked 10 days on and 4 off, so what to do with my off time, that shop was a great place to learn and practice. It was rare for me to have to share the shop, usually it was me, and the (retired) shop manager. I still have a Shaker style Mahogany Blanket Chest from those days. Thanks for making mention of this.