Wood cost

went_postal

Holy crap. I just paid over 200 dollars for some wood and it doesnt even look like that much wood.

Not sure how you guys that do this for a living do it.

Anyone see the clock project in this months wood magazine? The place that supplies the parts for the project also sells the completed clocks. They want $400+. After buying the wood today.... Now i know why. Heck they want $80 for the parts.

Getting to the point where I can afford the tools but not the sawdust.

I hear you. I rarely go to a major supplier of lumber. I'll buy from local sawmills or even online which is often a lot cheaper including shipping costs.

I have yet to find a sawmill nearby and I have been reluctant to order online. I can't get boxes from Amazon here in one piece... I shudder to think of how wood would show up.

Wish I could find a local saw mill out here. There are plenty of Mesquite mills. But other than Mesquite, what could they cut up? Cactus?!?

Aren't there any older towns in your area? My sawyer exclusively uses locally planted trees. He's got a deal with the local tree trimming services and has a wonderful selection of wood.

$400, what kind of wood was it? and how much? I am new to the wood work scene and only a few weeks ago bought my first board of hard wood. it was a 6x1 8ft of white oak it cost me £12 prob $18 worth (im in Ireland) how much would that cost in the US?

The answer depends on the species of wood, area of the U.S. one is in, etc. For example, if I'm doing the math right, you bought 4 board feet of wood. That amount, in quarter sawn white oak from my supplier here in upstate NY would cost about $5.50 per board foot or a total of about $22.00 for that board. Around here poplar is probably the cheapest ($2.50 or so per board foot) and it goes up from there. Curly cherry can curl your hair! I always understood Ireland to be pretty treeless (thanks to the English!) so it would make sense that much of the wood is imported from other countries. Is that correct?

The Green & Green clock with the tile in it? Is that the wood that cost $200?

Yes. But I bought enough for two clocks. Still.... Not cheap.

And the kits range from 21 ( no tile ) to 88. And NO GLASS. I get why they charge so much for a finished one.

Another thing that chaps my @ss is that they have the back at 6 5/16ths resawed. MOST Hobbyist woodworkers have 14" saws which typically have a 6" resaw capacity without a riser. So annoying

The answer depends on the species of wood, area of the U.S. one is in, etc. For example, if I'm doing the math right, you bought 4 board feet of wood. That amount, in quarter sawn white oak from my supplier here in upstate NY would cost about $5.50 per board foot or a total of about $22.00 for that board. Around here poplar is probably the cheapest ($2.50 or so per board foot) and it goes up from there. Curly cherry can curl your hair! I always understood Ireland to be pretty treeless (thanks to the English!) so it would make sense that much of the wood is imported from other countries. Is that correct?

yeah ireland is fairly small so i think that most of the hard wood and soft wood is imported, i guess thats why they are called McGreggors Timber importers!

Yes. But I bought enough for two clocks. Still.... Not cheap.

And the kits range from 21 ( no tile ) to 88. And NO GLASS. I get why they charge so much for a finished one.

Another thing that chaps my @ss is that they have the back at 6 5/16ths resawed. MOST Hobbyist woodworkers have 14" saws which typically have a 6" resaw capacity without a riser. So annoying

You might also mention that the clock project specifies mahogany. :o